What is software?
Types of software
Types of system utilities
• Understand well the software names and
classifications, functions and roles.
• Understand the reason why the operating
system is necessary.
What is computer software?
• Set of programs aimed at efficient use and
control of different types of resources.
• Helps users to make effective use of the
Word processing, spreadsheet, database, graphics, etc
Device drivers System Software Utility programs
(computer plus peripheral devices)
Types of Software
1. Application software:
- perform useful work on general-purpose tasks
(word, spreadsheet, adobe photo shop and
Types of Software
2. System software
- enables the application software to interact
- Helps the computer manage its internal
and external resources.
• Acts as a bridge between the application
software and the hardware is the operating
1. Efficient use of the resources
- Using resources without relying on humans.
2. Consecutive job processing
- Eliminating as much as human intervention as
-simultaneously processing multiple jobs with
the same processor NEXT
The operating time of a job processed in a
computer can be divided into the following:
• Time during which the data to be
processed is entered.
• Time during which calculations and
other processes are performed using the
• Time during which process results are
4. Reduction of the response time
- e.g. Online transaction processing system
5. Improve of reliability
What is a user interface?
The part of the operating system that enables the
user to interact with it
Two types of user interfaces:
Command-line- Requires the user to type
keywords or commands to enter data or give
Graphical user interface (GUI)- Uses a graphics
environment made up of objects, icons, buttons
and menus; User is able to use a pointing device
(mouse, joy stick, etc) or keyboard to enter data
and issue commands
Types of User interfaces
Command-line Graphical user interface
What are system utilities?
Programs that help the operating system
manage the computer system’s resources
Types of utilities:
File defragmentation BACK
What are file management utilities?
Known as a file manager
Enables the user to perform
various tasks with files, folders,
and directories on storage
Saving, deleting, copying
and moving files and folders
Examining the contents of
What are file finders?
A program that enables the user
to find files on a storage device
What are backup utilities?
A program that enables the user to
copy data from the hard disk to another
What is antivirus software?
A program that protects the computer
from computer viruses
What is a file compression utility?
A program that reduces the size of a
What is a disk scanning utility?
A program that detects and fixes
physical and logical problems on storage
What is a file defragmentation utility?
A program that moves data on a
storage device to improve performance
Research the following topics:
1. Types of Software. Name two
functions of each.
2. Give five purpose of an operating
3. Give five types of system utilities?