Definition 3 expresses philosophy as we are going to understand it in this class. Philosophy in this sense is (like definition 1, but unlike definition 2) an activity: it is something you do. In particular, doing philosophy is using our rationality in trying to figure out the answers to difficult questions (related to any subject matter).
Prepared by Raizza P.
In studying PHILOSOPHY one should KNOW the :
In this way one can distinguish both VALIDITY and
TRUTH, GENUINE and ESSENTIAL ideals.
“Wasn’t it extraordinary to be in
the world right now, wandering
around in a wonderful
― Jostein Gaarder, Sophie's
• Philosophy comes from the Geek Words Philia and Sofia.
Philia-love, desire for, interest in
Philia and Sofia join by Pythagoras-600 B.C.
• Episteme-means knowledge
• Wisdom-defining deeply, wise, according to etymology
-is an awareness of something which is basic.
-knowledge of the basic principle.
• Knowledge-is only a million formation
-simple data that comes from the outside that pass to
What is Philosophy as a
The term “philosophy” comes from the Greek language. It
consists of two words :
• philos, (love, or philia )– friendship, affection
• sophos (learned scholar, sage, or
• sophia - wisdom, knowledge, talent)
philo” - love
“sophia” - wisdom
THERE ARE MANY QUESTIONS but
there are SOME BIG QUESTION in
Philia =“love” sophia = “wisdom.”
Love for wisdom
Knowledge + Action = Wisdom
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you
know nothing ."
1. Philosophy is the love of wisdom
2. Philosophy attempts to answer life's Big Questions
3. Philosophy is about Questions
4. Philosophers ask Questions about what people
5. Philosophy is about Examining Ourselves & Our