Why we learn about CYBER CRIME ??Why we learn about CYBER CRIME ??
Because – – Because – – – – – –
Everybody is using COMPUTERS.Everybody is using COMPUTERS.
From white collar criminals to terroristFrom white collar criminals to terrorist
organizations And from Teenagers toorganizations And from Teenagers to
Adults . Adults .
Conventional crimes like Forgery,Conventional crimes like Forgery,
extortion, kidnapping etc. are beingextortion, kidnapping etc. are being
committed with the help of computers etc.committed with the help of computers etc.
New generation is growingNew generation is growing up withup with
computers .computers .
MOST IMPORTANT-Monetary transactions areMOST IMPORTANT-Monetary transactions are
moving on to the INTERNET.moving on to the INTERNET.
• WHAT IS COMPUTER CRIME?WHAT IS COMPUTER CRIME?
• All crimes performed or resorted to byAll crimes performed or resorted to by
abuse of electronic media or otherwise,abuse of electronic media or otherwise,
with the purposewith the purpose
of influencing the functioning of of influencing the functioning of
computer or computer system.computer or computer system.
IN SHORTIN SHORT
• Computer is a target.Computer is a target.
• Computer is a tool of crime.Computer is a tool of crime.
Profile of Cyber CriminalProfile of Cyber Criminal
• Disgruntled employees.Disgruntled employees.
• Political HacktivistPolitical Hacktivist
• Professional HackersProfessional Hackers
• Business RivalBusiness Rival
• Desperados and greedyDesperados and greedy
• Unskilled & InexperiencedUnskilled & Inexperienced
• Unlucky peopleUnlucky people
Computer Crimes areComputer Crimes are
• Because of : Anonymity,Because of : Anonymity,
• Storage capacity,Storage capacity,
• Weakness in OperatingWeakness in Operating
• Lack of Awareness of user .Lack of Awareness of user .
1) HACKING 1) HACKING
Hacking in simple terms means Hacking in simple terms means
illegal intrusion into a computer illegal intrusion into a computer
system without the permission ofsystem without the permission of
the computer owner/user.the computer owner/user.
2) DENIAL OF SERVICE ATTACK2) DENIAL OF SERVICE ATTACK
This is an act by the criminal, whoThis is an act by the criminal, who
floods the bandwidth of the victim’sfloods the bandwidth of the victim’s
network or fills his e-mail box withnetwork or fills his e-mail box with
spam mail depriving himspam mail depriving him
services he is entitled to access orservices he is entitled to access or
3)VIRUS DISSEMINATION 3)VIRUS DISSEMINATION
• Malicious software thatMalicious software that
attaches itself to other softwareattaches itself to other software
(virus, worms, Trojan Horse,(virus, worms, Trojan Horse,
Time bomb Bomb, Rabbit andTime bomb Bomb, Rabbit and
Bacterium are the maliciousBacterium are the malicious
softwares )softwares )
4) SOFTWARE PIRACY4) SOFTWARE PIRACY
• Theft of software through the illegal copyingTheft of software through the illegal copying
of Theft of software and genuine programs orof Theft of software and genuine programs or
the counterfeiting and distribution ofthe counterfeiting and distribution of
products intended to pass for the original .products intended to pass for the original .
• Retail revenue losses worldwide are everRetail revenue losses worldwide are ever
increasing due to this crime increasing dueincreasing due to this crime increasing due
to this crime Can be done in various waysto this crime Can be done in various ways
• End user copying, Hard disk loading,End user copying, Hard disk loading,
Counterfeiting, etc. Illegal downloads fromCounterfeiting, etc. Illegal downloads from
the internet etcthe internet etc
7) CREDIT CARD FRAUD7) CREDIT CARD FRAUD
You simply have types of creditYou simply have types of credit
card number into www page ofcard number into www page of
the vendor for onlinethe vendor for online
transaction .transaction .
If electronic transaction are notIf electronic transaction are not
in the credit card numbers canin the credit card numbers can
be stolen the hackers whobe stolen the hackers who
can misuse this cardcan misuse this card
6)IRC CRIME6)IRC CRIME
• Internet Relay Chat (IRC) servers have chatInternet Relay Chat (IRC) servers have chat
rooms in which people from anywhere the worldrooms in which people from anywhere the world
can come together and chat with each other .can come together and chat with each other .
• Criminals use it for meeting co use it for meetingCriminals use it for meeting co use it for meeting
co-conspirators .co-conspirators .
• Hackers use it for discussing theirHackers use it for discussing their
exploits / sharing the techniques .exploits / sharing the techniques .
• Paedophiles use chat rooms to allure smallPaedophiles use chat rooms to allure small
children .children .
• Cyber Stalking -In order to harass a womanCyber Stalking -In order to harass a woman
her telephone numberher telephone number
telephone number is given to others as if she telephone number is given to others as if she
wants to befriend males .wants to befriend males .
Credit card skimmerCredit card skimmer
How the credit card skimmer is usedHow the credit card skimmer is used
• 8) NET EXTORATION8) NET EXTORATION
• Copying the company’s confidential dataCopying the company’s confidential data
in order to extort said company for hugein order to extort said company for huge
amount .amount .
• 9) PHISHING9) PHISHING
• It is technique of pulling outIt is technique of pulling out
confidential information from theconfidential information from the
bank/financial institutional accountbank/financial institutional account
holders by deceptive accountholders by deceptive account
holders means .holders means .
• Getting one computer on a networkGetting one computer on a network
to to pretend to have the identity ofto to pretend to have the identity of
another computer, usually one with,another computer, usually one with,
usually one with special accessusually one with special access
privileges , so as to obtain accessprivileges , so as to obtain access
to the other computers on theto the other computers on the
11) CYBER STALKING11) CYBER STALKING
• The Criminal follows the victim byThe Criminal follows the victim by
sending emails, entering the chatsending emails, entering the chat
rooms sending frequently.rooms sending frequently.
12) CYBER DEFAMATION12) CYBER DEFAMATION
• The Criminal sends emailsThe Criminal sends emails
containing defamatory matters to allcontaining defamatory matters to all
concerned of the victim or post theconcerned of the victim or post the
defamatory matters son a websitedefamatory matters son a website
on disgruntled employee may doon disgruntled employee may do
this against boss, ex boss, againstthis against boss, ex boss, against
girl, divorced husband against wifegirl, divorced husband against wife
• The Criminal sends threateningThe Criminal sends threatening
email or comes in contact in chatemail or comes in contact in chat
rooms with victim.rooms with victim.
• (Any one disgruntled may do this(Any one disgruntled may do this
against boss, friend or official)against boss, friend or official)
14)SALAMI ATTACK 14)SALAMI ATTACK
• In such crime criminal makesIn such crime criminal makes
insignificant changes in such a mannerinsignificant changes in such a manner
that such changes would go unnoticed.that such changes would go unnoticed.
Criminal makes such program thatCriminal makes such program that
deducts small amount like Rs. 2.50 perdeducts small amount like Rs. 2.50 per
month from the account of all themonth from the account of all the
customer of the Bank and deposit thecustomer of the Bank and deposit the
same in his account. In this case nosame in his account. In this case no
account holder will approach the bank foraccount holder will approach the bank for
such small amount but criminal gainssuch small amount but criminal gains
huge amount.huge amount.
15) SALE OF NARCOTICS15) SALE OF NARCOTICS
• Sale & Purchase through net.Sale & Purchase through net.
• There are web site which offer sale andThere are web site which offer sale and
shipment of contrabands drugs.shipment of contrabands drugs.
• They may use the techniquesThey may use the techniques
of stegnography for hidingof stegnography for hiding
the messages.the messages.