1.  There are over 200 traits that are transmitted from generation to generation in humans. These interesting aspects of human genetics are known as hereditary traits
2. There are two or more variations in most ofthe genes called alleles. An individual caninherit same pair of alleles or two differentpairs of alleles. When there are two differentalleles, they are expressed in a different way.The trait that is expressed in case of twodifferent alleles, gives rise to the dominantand recessive traits in humans. When adominant allele is present, it is alwaysobserved that the dominant trait is expressed.The recessive trait is observed only in casethere are two recessive alleles present.
3. Common Dominant andRecessive Traits in Humans:
4. Widows Peak:The widows peak allele is dominant and thestraight allele is recessive.
5. Bent Pinkie:You can try to bend your pinkie finger inwardstowards your ring finger or fourth finger. If you areable to do so, it means you have inherited thedominant version of the gene that causes the distalsegment of the pinkie to bend.
6. Crossing of Thumbs:Do you find your left thumb crossingyour right thumb? If yes, then youprobably have inherited 1 or 2 copies ofthe dominate gene. In case of 2recessive genes inherited, you will findyour right thumb placed over your leftthumb.
7. Earlobe Attachment:Some people have their ear lobesattached to the side of the head andsome people have free ear lobes. This isdue to a gene that is dominant forunattached ear lobes and recessive incase of attached ear lobes.
8. Rolling of Tongue:If you can roll the lateral edges of yourtongue together, then this means youhave inherited a dominant trait. Thosewho are unable to do so are expressinginheritance of recessive gene for tonguerolling.
9. Cleft Chin:People who have a cleft chin haveinherited a dominant gene andthose with smooth chin haverecessive gene.
10. Dimples:Have you fallen for the cutedimples of Brad Pitt? Well, BradPitt and people all over the worldwith dimples are expressing thedominant gene for dimples.Whereas, people without dimpleshave recessive genes
11. Handedness: The gene for right-handedness is dominant and the gene for left hand is recessive. Thus, majority of the people have inherited the dominant gene resulting in right- handedness.
12. Natural Curly Hair: The gene for naturally curly hair is dominant and the gene for straight hair is recessive. (Does this mean I have one dominant and one recessive gene that resulted in my wavy hair? Interesting.)
13. Freckles:All those with freckles, you haveinherited at least one pair ofdominant gene for freckles. Thosewithout freckles have inherited tworecessive genes for freckles.
14. Allergies: People with allergies may have inherited the gene for allergy from at least one of the parent. It is seen that a parent with allergies has a chance that one of four of their children may develop allergy. The chances of child inheriting allergy from a parent is about 25% and the risk increases if both parents have allergies
15. Color Blindness:Color blindness is a genetic disorderthat is seen due to presence of arecessive allele located on the Xchromosome. There are two Xchromosome in women and one ofthem usually carries an allele fornormal vision. In men, there is only oneX chromosome and if they carry anallele for color blindness, they willexpress this trait. This is the reason thatmore number of men are colorblind ascompared to women
16. These were just a fewdominant and physical traitsin humans. Other dominantand recessive traits in humansinclude:
17. Dominant Trait in Humans Recessive Trait inHumansA blood type O blood typeAbundant body hair Little body hairAstigmatism Normal visionB blood type O blood typeBaldness (in male) Not baldBroad lips Thin lipsBroad nose Narrow noseDwarfism Normal growthHazel or green eyes Blue or gray eyesHigh blood pressure Normal blood pressureLarge eyes Small eyesMigraine NormalMongolian Fold No fold in eyesNearsightedness Normal visionRh factor (+) No factor (Rh -)Second toe longest First or big toe longestShort stature Tall statureSix fingers Five fingers normalWebbed fingers Normal fingersTone deafness Normal tone hearingWhite hair streak Normal hair coloring