ZACK NOTES - SEO TOOLS - SMX EAST - NYC - 2013 - Presentation Transcript
Senior Analyst at UncommonGoods
Independent B Corp out of
Sunset Park in Brooklyn NY
(and more importantly, application)
If Google made a big algorithm change
tomorrow, what would you do?
What if you saw some of your keywords dropping?
How would you see the big picture?
I use the Moz full ranking report
to get the big picture
on keyword movement
• You have to finesse this data a bit
Delete all columns except these
Select all 3 columns and run a pivot table
Drag and drop fields per chart above.
Change Google from count to sum via value field settings
Highlight everything, copy and paste values only to a new sheet
What happened to my dates ?
Reformat the dates as short date
Ctrl-H to Find & Replace all zeros with 50
* zeros indicate this kw is not in top 50
* blank spaces indicate you were not tracking that kw yet
• Delete the grand total at the bottom row and far right column
• Create a bottom row with the average of rankings for all keywords above
Chart date row vs average row
NS Traffic is a vanity metric. It tells us next to nothing.
How do you keep track of
links you’ve acquired?
BuzzStream is a CMS
for link builders
You can filter by tags, linking status, date added etc..
Dig deeper to get
• Link details – acquisition method, anchor text, date found, etc..
• Contact details – name, email address, social accounts, etc..
• SEO stats – page Rank, moz domain authority, inbound link counts
• Communication log – stores emails
You give Buzzstream Google search terms and they import domain, stats, contact info into
a temp contact list
Are you missing keywords you
should be ranking for?
We have over 2,500 products…
Our Navigation attempts to list all categories, but there is limited space.
We realized that we had collections of products that our Navigation was missing.
We realized that we had collections of products that our Navigation was missing
Without a landing page, we were missing out on search traffic
So we automated a system for creating landing pages
Our tech dept automated creation of these through an admin interface.
They are indexed via the XML sitemap
We turned this search results page…
Into a static landing page
And now we have a ranking page
Isn’t this a presentation about SEO tools?
Here is the tool we used to discover more opportunities like this..
Note the phrase controls
I used SQL to export a list of all of our title tags, and then fed them into ToCloud
ToCloud allowed us to mine our title tags for search
• We have created 250 of these pages.
• 70 have converted
• Revenue lift = 6%
How do you know when to schedule your link
building (and other marketing) efforts ?
Sometimes it’s obvious…
Sometimes it’s not.
Some terms have fairly clear peaks
Others have more distributed curves
And others are just plain confusing
To analyze this, export the data
You get weekly, normalized data (unlike keyword tool)
Create a column to count off weeks and a column for each year you wish to include
Pasted yearly data from column 2 into the year columns
Create a column to average the yearly data
Apply conditional formatting
You can see that there is a traffic peak in August
Create a new column and re-normalize to 5
Copy and transpose the values with paste special
Now you have a calendar showing traffic peaks for “Home Décor”
Add all of your keywords and you get a great calendar tool to visualize your Keyword traffic
• Since it’s normalized, you can’t compare rows (5 in one row is not necessarily representative of more traffic than 4 in a another row).
• It’s basically aggregates and stores a crapload of Google Trends data in one chart and makes planning easier.
• These values are different (1-5) because this is from a slightly more advanced calendar I built using Python ( Moz blog post below)
Senior Analyst at UncommonGoods