This presentation is about Blogging Your Ancestor’s and Families History.
I was asked by some of the San Diego African American Genealogy Research Group, “What is Blogging?” Many of the members of my group are in the mature generation, and do not know about this technology. They have probably come across some blogs, but viewed them as regular websites. A blog is a personal website that needs to be updated from time to time or even on a daily basis.
There are many reasons to Blog, and here are a few of the reasons.
The Why’s and The What’s of Blogging go hand in hand.
1. It will Stand Out and will be remembered2. Ensuring that you choose a name for your blog that will match the blog address, as it will make it easier for your audience, readers and subscribers to find and will be less confusing when you have different names….
1. By Yvette Porter Moore
2. A Website that can be updated on a daily or ongoing basis. A Blog can be a collection of: Thoughts Ideas A Main Subject, Many Subjects, and Various Topics Photos For our Purposes: Family History & Genealogy According to Blogger: “A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world.”
3. To Preserve Your Family History To Share with Family and The World Wide Web. To Organize What you Know To Write about your Research Allows you to tell short stories about certain events Family Members Finding You
4. You Have a Public or even Private Platform in which to share with Family & Friends. I Repeat, It opens the door for family researching your surnames to find you. You may have the opportunity to reunite with long lost relatives. Other’s in the Genealogy Community can help you with your research. Might have enough written material to write a book.
5. Choose A Name for your Blog Choose A Free Blog Server & Sign Up Set Up Your Blog Organize What you Know Be Aware of other Genealogy Services for Genealogy Bloggers Gather information for your 1st Blog Post
6. Choose a unique Name for your blog The name you choose, make sure it is very similar to the blog address, so people can find you.Example Names of Actual Blogs: Between The Gate Posts Climbing My Family Tree Corn & Cotton: Telling My Family Story Digging Roots: My Family History
7. According to Marian’s Roots and Rambles:“Choose a blog name that you are comfortable with that you can grow with that will appeal to a broad group of people that looks good in print that reinforces your business goals (if you are blogging for business)
8. Blogger: www.blogger.com ** Wordpress: www.wordpress.com ** LiveJournal: www.livejournal.com Tumblr.com: www.tumblr.com Blogabond: www.blogabond.com(dedicated to travel)** Most popular
9. The Cully Family: An African American Legacy. “Moving On Up!”(Blogger)http://www.thecullyfamily.com/Digging Roots: My Family Historyhttp://rootdigger2011.com/(WordPress)