Iona Island <ul><li>Iona, island in the Inner Hebrides island group of Scotland. Iona rises from the Sound of Iona to an e...
<ul><li>Beginning in 795, the island was periodically invaded by the Vikings, and in 878 the relics of Saint Columba were ...
HOME
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Iona Island

338

Published on

Published in: Education, Spiritual
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
338
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
4
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Iona Island

  1. 1. Iona Island <ul><li>Iona, island in the Inner Hebrides island group of Scotland. Iona rises from the Sound of Iona to an elevation of 101 m (332 ft), and is 5 km (3.1 mi) long and 2.4 km (1.5 mi) wide. </li></ul><ul><li>Iona was once called I-Colum-cille, meaning Island-of-Columbia-of-the-Church in Celtic. In 563, Saint Columba left his native Ireland and established a small religious community on Iona. His efforts to convert the Pictish tribes that inhabited Iona to Christianity were successful, preparing them for absorption into the evolving Scottish kingdom. Saint Columba’s followers later expanded their missionary efforts to the Angles, a Germanic tribe that had invaded northern England in ad 5. Venerated as the mother church of these peoples, Iona was the burial place of many early Scottish kings. </li></ul>
  2. 2. <ul><li>Beginning in 795, the island was periodically invaded by the Vikings, and in 878 the relics of Saint Columba were transferred to Ireland and Dunkeld for safekeeping. Iona was subsequently controlled by Norway, under the jurisdiction of the bishop of Man and the archbishop of Trondheim. This connection to the Christian church survived the end of Norwegian political control in 1266. Iona’s ties with Scotland gradually strengthened, and in 1498, Iona Abbey became the central cathedral used by the bishop appointed to the Scottish isles. Iona Community, founded in 1938, has restored many of the surviving buildings, some which date to the 11th and 12th centuries. Area, 8.5 sq km (3.3 sq mi); population in the 1990s was about 100. </li></ul>
  3. 3. HOME
  1. A particular slide catching your eye?

    Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.

×