2. UNIT 1 (GUIA 8) PRESENT CONTINUOSExercise 1. A. Listen carefully the dialogue and cover it.Ms. Costa: Welcome to the foreign language club. My name is Ms. Costa. I’m the club adviser. Please tell me your name and the foreign language you’re taking.Stacy: My name’s Stacy. I’m studying German. I’m in the 11th grade.Steve: Hi, my name is Steve Liu. Steve for short. I’m studying Italian.Justin: And I’m Justin Carlson. I’m taking French.Ms. Costa: Justin … you tutor kids at the Learning Center, don’t you?Justin: that’s right. Tom, Nicole, and Stacy are volunteers there, too.Ms. Costa: My youngest son, Jesse, goes to the center.Nicole: I know Jesse. He’s adorable.Ms. Costa: Thank you. And your name is…Nicole: Nicole. I’m a senior. And I’m taking Spanish.Ms. Costa: You and Stacy aren’t sisters, are you?Nicole: No, we aren’t. Do we look like?Ms. Costa: A little. Ok, one more person…Tom: I’m Thomas Bryant. You can call me Tom. I’m taking Spanish with Nicole.Ms Costa: Ok. First things first. We usually have a party so you can get to know each other. Anyone interested?Tom: Count me in!
3. Exercise 2. B.Answer each question.Who said it? “I’m the club adviser” ______________ “I’m studying Italian” ______________ “I’m taking French” _______________ “I’m studying German” _____________ Who volunteers at the learning Center? ____________________________ What language are Tom and Nicole studying? ________________________
4. UNIT 2 INTRODUCING YOURSELF (VERB TO BE) (GUIA 3)A. Listen and read.I’m Jose Sanchez. You can call me Pepe. I’m in 12th grade.My name’s Shawn McGasco. I’m in 11th grade.Hi. I’m Candice Collins. Candy for short. I’m a senior like Pepe.B. Introduce yourself to other group members. Say your name and grade level.
5. UNIT 3 PAST SIMPLE (GUIA 2)A. Read along as you listen and fill in the gaps with the past tense of the following verbs [you can use a verb more than one time].Pick / arrive / be / expect / step / doJuly 8, 2008.Dear Nick and Tom,Hi, guys. I’m taking a break from the conference.I ____ up this beautiful postcard at a souvenir shop. I _____ at my hotel late last night. My flight to Singapore ___ very pleasant. The flight attendants ____ so nice and so professional. Singapore is very different from what I _______.The country is very small (it’s about the size of a small city) and very rich! Everything runs like clockwork. It’s also very clean. When I ______ on to my balcony this morning to admire Singapore’s skyline, I ____ not see any litter on the streets. It ___ a wonderful sight.Love,Mom.
6. B. Fill in the gaps with the past tense of this verbs:want / have / enjoy / love / do / beJuly 15, 2008.Dear Ang San,So, I’m back home in Texas. I just ____ to thank you and your wife for the wonderful time I ___ in Singapore. It ___ a busy but very interesting week, and I ______ my stay there. I especially _____ the orchid garden. I ___ not know that there were many varieties of orchids! And the breakfast at the Zoo with Millie, the gentle gorilla, ___ quite an experience!Best regardsEmily Bryant.
7. UNIT 4 ADJECTIVE (GUIA 6)Write the words that mean the opposite of these adjectives from the last exercise. Use the dictionary if it is necessary. Then listen and check your answers.Ugly ________Boring _______Big ________Unpleasant _________Unprofessional _________Dirty ______Poor ________Horrible ________
8. UNIT 5 HAVE TO (GUIA 3)Do I have to? Listen the household chores and describe what the people in the pictures have to do (next page).Clean the roomClear the tableCook lunchDo the grocery shoppingDo the laundryIron the clothesMake the bedVacuum the floorWash (do) the dishes
9. UNIT 6 FOODS AND DRINKS (GUIA 5)A. Listen and repeat. Then match the words (1-12) with the pictures (a- l) (next page).1. Hamburgers2. Ice cream sundae3. Bottled water4. Chips and salsa5. Hot dogs6. Chocolate cake7. Soda8. Spaghetti9. Orange juice10. Salad11. Roast chicken12. Apple pie
10. B. Listen to the phone conversation. Fill in the missing information in Nick’s message.Tom,Mom called from work. She wants you to go to the market and pick up _______, _______ and ________. Then, she wants you to stop by the fast-food place and get some _____ and three ______.Nick.