The olimpic games in montreal.Presentation Transcript
THE OLIMPIC GAMES IN
• The Olympic games in Montreal 1976 known
as the Olympic games of the XXI Olympic
were celebrated in Canada between the 17
July and the 1 August. There were six
thousand twenty-eight a athletes from 92
countries in 21 sports. Due top political
problems 24 African countries didn´t
participate in the competitions.
• Montreal had tried to celebrate the games
four times before. The first time, they lost
against London. The rivals were Los Angeles
and Moscou but Russia and the Inited States
were rivals and Canada was more neutral.
Results of voting
• In the final round Montreal had the votes of
all the people who had chosen Los Angeles
• With 41 points Montreal became the place
for the games.
The Olympic torch
• The travel started on the 13 July in Olympia,
in Greece. It went to Athens and then to
Ottawa. From Ottawa it travelled by all the
• There were athletes from 92 federations.
Some countries like Islas Caiman and Andorra
were in Montreal for the first time.
• The basketball competitions for women were
included for the first time as well as handball.
• The Romanian gymnast Nadia Comanechi was a
total success because it was the first person to have
a 10 in the parallel bars. She had seven tens.
• This is a photo of this girl who was fourteen years
• For men, the japans Shun Fujimoto broke his leg
while he was doing his exercises. He didn´t say
anything but at the end he couldn´t continue in the
• They were very expensive games .The Works of the
stadium and other places were paid with a tax on
the cigarettes sold in Quebec.