Utilizing cutting edge techniques and taking advantage of market-leading expertise, Digital Life offers both a lens on the digital world and the frameworks required to make actionable business decisions within it. It can be used to drive global strategies or inform local tactics.
36% of online Filipinos access the internet daily. Home usage is reasonable with 52% of Filipino online users having recently connected to the internet from their home. However, this is lower compared to 85% globally. Internet cafes are also an essential place to access the internet. Filipino online consumers are spending an average of 9 hours a week connected to the internet compared to 17.6 globally. Engagement is also low with only 32% of consumers highly engaged in digital activities.
The Philippines is #1 in the world in terms of Facebook reach and 6th in terms of Facebook and Twitter usage.
2. <ul><li>The digital landscape; digital usage and frequency levels </li></ul><ul><li>Drivers of online behavior and activities </li></ul><ul><li>The digital lifestyles and segmentation </li></ul><ul><li>Social networking and where it goes next </li></ul>If you would like to find out about….
3. <ul><li>The largest and most comprehensive study of the global digital consumer, ever </li></ul><ul><li>Philippines coverage: n=1000 respondents </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Equal gender split (males: n=500; females n=500) </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Age: 16-60 years old </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Areas: Metro Manila, Balance Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao </li></ul></ul>* Population data sourced from Internet World Stats 2009. <ul><li>Covering 88% of the global internet population* </li></ul><ul><ul><li>46 markets; n=48, 804 respondents; survey done in Q3 2010 </li></ul></ul>
4. Harnessing opportunities in the Digital space The critical questions What is the state-of-play in the digital landscape? How do we maximize opportunities with the digital consumer? How and to whom do we tailor the message?
5. State-of-play 36% of online Filipinos* access the internet daily… % using at least once a day … that’s 11 million Filipinos … about 3x MORE than the population of Singapore, or 1.5x MORE than the population of Hong Kong *16-60 years old, SEC: ABCD, Total Urban Philippines
6. % using Digital at least once a day – Philippines Digital cuts across demographics Total = 36% Age Gender
7. Digital Life activities Games you play on or via the Internet, either single-player games or multi-player games (not via a console) Personal email account. Checking inbox, writing and composing email messages Connecting and sharing with others online, uploading pictures to a photo sharing site or internet dating Source general information & learn online. Includes: ‘googling’ online encyclopaedias and self educating online etc Planning & organising your life online, including journey planners, using maps services Using internet banking, paying or checking your bills, topping up mobile phone/travel cards, doing tax return etc Purchasing online, whether it be groceries, cinema tickets, clothing, gifts, flights or services Browsing for things to buy online or offline; e.g. consumer reviews, websites, search engines Keeping up to date with current affairs, sports, culture and the weather Specialty websites that help you pursue your personal interests & hobbies or a blog/forum you read or write Watching video, listening to music or radio streaming or watching on-demand TV programs Social Email Knowledge Organize Admin Shopping Browsing News Interest Multi-media Gamin g
8. Social, email and multimedia are done daily; all other activities show promising potential to grow % doing activity daily Social Email Knowledge Organize Admin Shopping Browsing News Interest Multi-media Gamin g
9. Social has outperformed email, thanks to Facebook Social Email Knowledge News Interest Multi-media Gamin g Ave. no. of hours per week in all activities: 9 hours
10. Filipino online consumers are spending an average of about 9 hours a week connected PC/ Laptop Mobile Hours spent online per week Philippines Global Male Female 16-20 21-24 25-34 35-44 45-60 Gender Age 17.6 9.6 10.5 8.6 9.7 10.6 11.4 8.9 8.2 1.2 0.4 0.3 0.4 0.6 1.9 0.4 0.1 0.2
11. In summary… So what this means is… <ul><li>Usage and engagement levels on the rise; digital becoming an integral part of consumers’ communication touch points </li></ul><ul><li>Social, email and multimedia are the key online activities </li></ul><ul><li>Opportunity to leverage digital platforms in the communication programs or marketing plans </li></ul><ul><li>Social, email and multimedia are the hot buttons to push when engaging consumers online </li></ul>
12. Maximizing digital opportunities % using social networking Philippines 16-20 21-24 25-34 35-44 45-60 Male Female Global On a daily basis, Filipino online consumers are catching up with the rest of the global online community… Gender Age
13. Filipinos have many social network and brand friends Connections on social networks Philippines 16-20 21-24 25-34 35-44 45-60 Female Male Global Gender Age
14. Filipinos have many social network and brand friends – more dominant amongst younger consumers (16-24 years olds) Connections on social networks Philippines 16-20 21-24 25-34 35-44 45-60 Female Male Global Gender Age
15. Consumers start to engage actively with brands online Brand Activities on Social Media 15% Talking 15% Listening 73% Inactive Reasons to join brand community (Written positive or negative comments about brands) (Viewed user comments about brands) (Does not read or write comments about brands)
16. Obtaining info and promos are key reasons in joining brand pages Reasons to join brand community
17. In summary… So what this means is… <ul><li>Growth of social media is expected to increase </li></ul><ul><li>Filipino digital consumers have a relatively large number of social network and brand friends </li></ul><ul><li>Social media is the new platform to engage with consumers </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Filipino digital consumers are open to connect and co-create with marketers </li></ul></ul><ul><li>The brand page is a key channel to foster ties with the consumers and at the same time for the consumers to develop a strong feeling of belonging </li></ul>
18. Tailoring the message
19. Digital Consumer Segmentation Projective techniques were used to uncover the emotive drivers of digital behavior CONDENSES YOUR WORLD Brings everything closer INDIVIDUALITY Puts you in charge AFFILIATION Links you to others ENLARGES YOUR WORLD Provides a gateway to everything
20. The internet is an integral part of my life . I just love talking and expressing myself . I use the internet to gain knowledge, info and to educate myself. The internet is important for me to establish and maintain relationships. I’m looking to create a personal space online The internet is a functional tool Six global digital consumer segments uncovered: A selection of key global digital behaviours and attitudes were clustered to form these segments
21. Meet the ASPIRERS “ I’m looking to create a personal space online” Number of friends India Emerg Asia MENA SSA Male Female Younger Older Employed Not employed High Low Frequency of internet access ONLINE OFFLINE Branded sites Offline media Retailer sites Retail shop Price comparison Offline WOM Search engine User review on blog Review sites Social network comments Social Email Where? Who? Digital Activities Brand interaction
22. In summary: How can we harness the benefits of the digital space?