Business Intelligence PortfolioPresentation Transcript
Table Of Contents
• Tools Used
• Project 1: All Works
• Project2: SetFocus Applicant Analysis
There are two projects done during the training period of
Business Intelligence:Master Program at Setfocus.
1. Individual Project (AllWorks, a fictitious company)
This project was done by splitting into four different parts
of Business Intelligence: Source Data Review, Data
Integration, Data Analysis and Reporting.
2. Final Group Project (SetFocus Applicant)
This project was done in a group of 4 people.
• Microsoft SQL Server 2005
• Microsoft Visio (Office 2007)
• Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
• Microsoft SQL Server Integration Service (SSIS)
• Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Service (SSAS)
• Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Service (SSRS)
• Microsoft Performance Point Server (PPS)
• Microsoft SharePoint Server (MOSS)
• Microsoft Excel (Offcie 2007)
• Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Project 1 : AllWorks
The first project was for a fictitious construction company called
AllWorks. Project was designed and build a SQL Server 2005
database to track employee and customer information, timesheet
and labor rates data, as well as job order information, job
materials, and customer invoices. In the client project scenario,
AllWorks currently stores this information in Excel Spreadsheets,
XML files, and csv files.
1. Review Data Source
2. Integrate external data sources into the SQL Server database.
3. Design and Create a SQL Server Analysis Service Application
4. Build reports using SQL Reporting Services, Performance
Point Server Dashboard Designer and Excel Services. Create a
simple dashboard of document-generated data using
Phase I : Source Data Review
Source Destination (AllWorksDBStudent
Database) Table Name
(After PHASE 2)
Employees Sheet Employee Table
Employeerates sheet EmployeeRates Table
Clientlisting sheet Client Table
Special grouping sheet ClientGroupings
ClientGeographies.xls Division Definition sheet Division Table
Special Groupings Sheet ClientGroupingXCliens Table
ProjectMaster.xls ProjectMaster Sheet Project(“Job”)Master Table
Different files with .csv
EmpTime####.csv EmployeeTimeSheet Table
Phase II: SQL Server Integration
Use SQL Server 2005 Integration Services to integrate these external data
sources into the SQL Server database.
To integrate external sources of data into SQL server database, altogether
(including mater package) 11 packages were created. Each data source was read
by related component, data converted to the proper SQL supported type, check
for validation and stored to the related tables in the database.
After preparation of all packages, the packages were building and deployed and
installed on SQL Server Database. Using SQL Server Agent, master package was
scheduled to run on everyday at midnight.
The details of Phase II is available in SQL Server Integration Service: Project Documentation.
Phase II:SSIS Master Package
Phase III: SQL Server Analysis
The basic requirement of this part of the project is to design and create a SSAS
Application by using data source, data view, relationship, cube, partition,
aggregation, calculations and KPIs. There is also a separate part of project as a
The details of Phase II is available in SQL Server Analysis Service: Project Documentation.
Phase III: Data Source
Phase III: Cube Layout
(Fact and Dimensions)
Phase III: KPI Design and Output Sample
Phase IV: SSRS-PPS-SharePoint &
• A PPS (Performance Point Server) Dashboard with 5 pages was created;
the dashboard was deploy to the PPSDashboards Document Library
underneath SharePoint Site Location. For this, four data sources are
created , one for each of the four cubes (one for labor, one for overhead,
one for materials, one for job summary)
• Two SSRS reports are created and schedule one for automatic generation.
Deploy it to the SSRSReports Document Library underneath SharePoint
Site Location .
• Another PPS dashboard with 3 spreadsheets was created from Excel
Services; Deploy it to the PPSDashboards Document Library
underneath SharePoint Site Location.
The details of Phase III is available in SQL Server Reporting Service, Performance Point Server, SharePoint Server
& Excel Services : Project Documentation.
Phase IV: Sample Report using Performance
Phase IV: Sample Report using SQL Server
Reporting Service (SSRS)
Phase IV: Sample Report using Excel Service
Project 2: SetFocus Applicants Analysis
This is the Final Group Project done during the Business Intelligence
training period. This project was completed by a team of 4 peoples.
Currently, SetFocus has approximately 180,000 contact records of people
who have applied to the Masters Program over the past 10 years. These
records are stored in a single table of SQL Server Database in non
relational format. The main objective of this project is to develop a
Business Intelligence Solution that delivers different types of reports to
the end users.
Project 2: Steps
• Design Staging Database
• ETL Process – Data Sort and Clean-Up.
• OLAP Process- CUBE Design
• SQL Server Reporting Service
• Excel Service
• Performance Point Server – Dashboard Design
• Microsoft SharePoint Server- Web Part
The details of Phase III is available in Final Project-SetFocus Applicant Analysis: Project Documentation.