2. Who are you?• Yohei Sasaki / @yssk22• CouchDB / Node.js / Cloud Foundry• System Developer @ EC service • English is the ofﬁcial language...• Technical Writer • @IT Cloud Foundry Series• Holiday programmer• (would be) SPEED evangelist
3. What is Cloud Foundry? (1)• Offering (& trademark) of VMware, Inc. • Public Service: • cloudfoundry.com • OSS Project: • cloudfoundry.org • Developer VM Distribution: • Micro Cloud Foundry
4. What is Cloud Foundry? (2) Software as a Service Platform as a Service Infrastructure as a Service
5. What is Cloud Foundry? (3) Software as a Service Application Data Service Container Provisioner Cluster Cluster Infrastructure as a Service
6. Why Cloud Foundry? (1)• The value is: • Multi site application deployment. app
7. Why Cloud Foundry? (2)• Multi runtimes and multi framework. • Available runtimes: • Java / Ruby / Perl / PHP / Python / Node.js / C#,VB (ASP.NET) / Erlang / Smalltalk / ...
8. Why Cloud Foundry? (3)• Multi data services • Available services: • MySQL / PostreSQL / RabbitMQ / Redis / Memcached / Mongodb / Neo4j / Atmos / ... • Any type of data services including HTTP API could be provisioned on Cloud Foundry.
9. Demo: Multi site app deployment pyfes-node-demo.cloud.yssk22.infopyfes-node-demo.cloudfoundry.com pyfes-node-demo.aws-cf.yssk22.info app
10. Who use Cloud Foundry?• Vendor • Active State,VMware, Tier3, FeedHenry, HP, Dell,• Service Provider • cloudfoundry.com, appfog.com, paas.io, ironfoundry.org• In house • Rakuten, Inc. • cloud.yssk22.info
11. So what?• Cloud Foundry is a kernel of Platform as a Service.• Cloud Foundry site like cloudfoundry.com is a distribution of Platform as a Service.
12. Missing pieces• Less open development community.• Single point of failures in the internal core messaging hub.• Lack of data service scalabilities.• Monetize.
14. Getting Started• Micro Cloud Foundry requires VMware virtual infrastructure • VMware workstation, Fusion ...• Setup script in OSS version of Cloud Foundry is broken. • rvm cannot be installed. • sun-java-* was removed from Ubuntu repository •
15. OK, use AMI• ami-5c14a35d (in Tokyo region) • ssh ubuntu@your-instance • cd ./cloudfoundry/vcap • ./bin/vcap -c ../conﬁg/ start • vmc target api.vcap.me
16. FAQ:• Which version of VMware vSphere is required to run cloud foundry? • Nothing required. • Cloud Foundry does not depends on any virtualization technologies. • Only micro cloud foundry requires desktop VMware products. • I have never use micro cloud foundry.
17. FAQ:• How do I learn Cloud Foundry? • If you want to develop apps on cloudfoundry, go to http:// start.cloudfoundry.com/ • If you want to build a site on top of Cloud Foundry, go to https://github.com/ cloudfoundry/vcap • or go to #cfcrjp (in Japanese) and ask people what you want to learn.
18. FAQ:• What are differences betwenn Cloud Foundry and other PaaS? • Many of PaaS services (like Google App Engine, Heroku, ...etc) has only one infrastructure for each.