1. Agenda & Objective
• Funny Video
• Test Schedule
• Review Characterization
• Lord of the Flies:
• Encourage studying
• Make sure we are
• Increase knowledge of
characters in LOTF to
improve multiple choice
• Prepare notes for use on
2. Test and Essay Schedule
• Tuesday = Test
• Thursday = Essay
• Wednesday = Test
• Friday = Essay
You should review and/or organize your notes
Reread the novel or important passages from the
Study websites like Cliffnotes and Sparknotes to
read up on deeper meaning within the novel.
3. Learning Check: Ungraded Quiz
• No notes
• No cheating off of a neighbor
• Do your best
• This is not graded
• When we go over the answers, write down the
ones that you missed
4. Learning Check: Ungraded Quiz
1. Define characterization.
2. Define Inference.
3. What are direct and indirect
4. Name the five methods of characterization.
5. Provide one example of each of the methods
of characterization from the Youtube
video…we will watch it again.
Characterization = The art of creating a character
Inference = An educated guess
Direct = What an author tells us directly (He was mad.)
Indirect = What the author makes us figure out (A vein bulged from his temple and his
eyes narrowed as he grabbed the chair and broke it over the antique coffee table)
5 Characterization Techniques
1. Actions: What characters do
2. Thoughts: What characters think
3. Speech: What characters say
4. Opinions: The opinions of other characters
5. Appearance: The way characters look
What examples did you find?
What is the importance of appearance in characterization?
What we can infer (guess) about the character?
6. Free Write
• Write about anything you want
• Specific challenge: Write a story that uses all
five of the characterization techniques and
NO DIRECT CHARACTERIZATION!
7. Quick Quiz
• Raise your hand if you take effective notes in
8. Quick Quiz
• Keep your hand up if you are a fast typist.
You will be typing notes for the benefit of your
10. Character Study
• Image – Explain
• Page number
• Characterization Technique