03/29/14 MAPTAP 2004 2
Content Area: Language Arts
Created By: Jami Polly
Objective: Students will make
inferences based on details from the
story and prior knowledge in order to
03/29/14 MAPTAP 2004 3
Writing About Cause and Effect
• What is a CAUSE?
– It is what makes something happen
• (Example: The floor was wet...)
• What is an EFFECT?
– It is what happens
• (Example: so, I slipped and fell.)
03/29/14 MAPTAP 2004 4
• Look for words such
– Due to the fact
cause and effect
• Use cause and effect
in paragraphs to
explain how things
• how something
03/29/14 MAPTAP 2004 5
Two things have to happen in a
cause and effect sentence!
• A CAUSE is what makes something happen.
• An EFFECT is what happens as a result of the
• Look at the pictures below.
• What is the cause?________________
• What will be the effect?_______________
The balloon will pop
03/29/14 MAPTAP 2004 6
Look at the pictures below.
Match the CAUSE with the EFFECT
• Cause • Effect
03/29/14 MAPTAP 2004 7
Remember these tips…
• The CAUSE happens FIRST
– Ask yourself, what had to happen first?
• The EFFECT happens SECOND
– Ask yourself, what happened last?
• Also: C before E (In the alphabet)
– Cause before Effect!
• Look for clue words
– Because, since, so, on account of, due to the
03/29/14 MAPTAP 2004 8
Certain words join cause and
I bought Dan a present BECAUSE it was
- What is the cause? ________________
- What is the effect? ________________
- What is the word that join the cause and
It was Dan’s birthday
I bought him a present
03/29/14 MAPTAP 2004 9
What other words help to join
cause and effect sentences?
• The ice cream was melting AS A RESULT
OF the hot weather.
– What is the cause?________________
– What is the effect?________________
– What is the joining clue word?___________
The hot weather
The ice cream melted
As a result of
03/29/14 MAPTAP 2004 10
Which words join the cause and
effect parts of a sentence?
• I told Ellen to come home because it was time for
• The school was closed yesterday on account of
the snowy weather. ___________
• Sara could not go to the party due to the fact that
she was sick. ____________
• I saved ten dollars as the result of putting one
dollar in my bank every week.____________
on account of
due to the fact
as the result of
03/29/14 MAPTAP 2004 11
On a piece of paper, Write a cause and
effect ending for each sentence below.
• USE THE WORDS THAT JOIN THEM
• Because, since, on account of, due to the fact
1. I had to wear boots to school _________
2. I like you _________________________
3. Alan had to stay after school _________
4. We are having a party_______________
03/29/14 MAPTAP 2004 12
Time to Write!!
• On a separate sheet of paper write four
cause and effect sentences of your own!
• Be sure to use words that join the cause
and effect parts in each of your sentences.
• REMEMBER: C before E!!