More than any time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction. Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctlyImage source needed Woody Allen
More than 800,000 consumer-generated models.The best are released as official LEGO products; LEGO pays the creators royalties.
“With Lego Factory we can expandbeyond our one hundred in-house designersto marvel at the creativity of more thanthree hundred thousand designers worldwide.”Mark Hansen, DirectorLego Interactive Experiences
Used by more than 150 corporations: Eli Lilly, Boeing, DuPont, P&G, Colgate-Palmolive…
Problem solved for Colgate-Palmolive:how to inject fluoride powder into atoothpaste tube without it dispersing into thesurrounding air.Solution: impart an electric charge to thepowder while grounding the tube.An electrical solution to a seeminglychemical problem.
• Idea generation by employees• Set up in 1996• Annual seed funding budget: $40M• Employees receive $300k-$500k for proposals that turn into business plans
• 2006: The biggest ever jam• 150k minds in 104 countries• Clients, consultants, employees, families• 4 subject areas: transportation, health, environment, finance & commerce• 46k ideas; $100M invested in 10 of them
“The world is my lab now.”John Kelly, Director of IBM Research
• The mining firm made its proprietary data about a mining site in Ontario public, then challenged outsiders to advise where to dig next• The participants suggested more than a hundred possible sites to explore, many of which had not been mined by Goldcorp – and that yielded new gold
• Identifying and measuring landforms (craters, ridges, valleys) – in order to find evidence of water• As a pilot, an already-categorized dataset was put online – 88k images – Within a month all were categorized accurately by the community – Took a professional geo-scientist two years
• In 6 weeks from 11/07 to 1/08: over 193M visits and over 123M elves created = 60 elves per second (In the previous year: 11M elves in five weeks)• Total time people spent on Elf Yourself: 2,600 years• More than one-third of visitors said the site influenced their decision to visit OfficeMax, and about one-third of visitors said the site improved their perception of OfficeMax
• In the first three weeks of the 2008/9 campaign, 57M elves were created• 122M elves created in total• Average time spent on the site doubled to 15 minutes
“When the florist sends a notereminding you of your mother’s birthday,and offers to deliver flowers again this yearto the same address and charge against the samecredit card you used with the florist last year,what are the chances that you will pick up the phoneand try to find a cheaper florist?”Don Peppers and Martha Rogers,Enterprise One to One
“A clear majority of consumers’ affinityfor a brand is swayed, either positivelyor negatively, by their digital experiencewith that brand… digital experiencesdirectly correlate to purchasing behavior”Feed, The Razorfish Digital Brand Experience Report, 2009