2. MeLeah L. WhiteReader Services LibrarianNorthbrook Public Library@leahlibrarianyolaleah.tumblr.comfacebook.com/yolaleah
3. the plan
4. the plan• What do we mean by “out of the box”?• Inside the library• On the Internet• Outside the library• Tips and Advice
5. Out of the Box Deﬁnedhttp://cdn.rojish.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/thinking-outside-the-box.jpg
6. Nontraditional times call for nontraditional services http://www.flickr.com/photos/zandwacht/5718319650/sizes/l/in/photostream/
7. The grocery store vs the kitchenhttp://goo.gl/xZzoA http://goo.gl/M9bR7http://goo.gl/IQGDA http://goo.gl/LzPVf
8. The grocery store vs the kitchenhttp://goo.gl/xZzoA http://goo.gl/M9bR7http://goo.gl/IQGDA http://goo.gl/LzPVf
9. The grocery store vs the kitchenhttp://goo.gl/xZzoA http://goo.gl/M9bR7http://goo.gl/IQGDA http://goo.gl/LzPVf
10. Budgets are tight. Time to get creative yet practical.
11. Inside the Library
12. Bestseller Preview• Keep a list of new and upcoming books that are popular at your library• Allows for simple and quick interactions with staff• People will use it• Make a space for people to put their name and card number• Who orders? Put them in charge.
13. Book Displays more, more, more!
14. Simple and stocked. not too pretty concept
15. Stay Organized• Have a system and follow it• Idea: dummy circ account• Use items from all over the library• If you do more, you must stay organized• Keep a stash of replacement items
16. Keep a permanent staff picks display
17. Start thinking about browsability
18. QR Codes
19. How to QR Code• Go to bit.ly• Type in your URL and click “Shorten”• Click on “Info Page+”• Save the QR code• Create an account to track statistics
20. On the Internet
21. Bestseller Preview Online
22. Don’t have lists? You have options.
23. Social Networks OMG SO MANY! http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrismenning/the-x-all-the-y-meme
24. What is your goal? Articulate it. Practice it.
25. My favorites
26. Good examples
27. Blogging? Consider your audience.
28. If you decide to blog, check out:
29. If you decide to blog, check out:
30. Outside the Library
31. Book clubs LitLounge
32. Why does the library belong in a bar?• Attract new patrons of varied ages and genders• Updated image for the library• Increased visibility in the community• Cooperation with local businesses• Provide programming and relevancy to a group that is not being served by existing library programs
33. Make it Easy Senior Center Book Talks
34. Tips and Advice
35. • Learn about your patrons needs and wantsListen • Reading suggestions will get better • Helps set goalshttp://goo.gl/Ab6k3 http://goo.gl/hNs6F
36. Haven’t read a book? Don’t freak out.http://www.wired.com/geekdad/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/dontpanic_1024.jpg
37. Don’t be the socially lazy sloth.
38. Read out of your comfort zone!http://arkvalwebworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/romance.jpg