Architectural Design 3 2011- Project 2
by Yasser Mahgoub, University Professor at Qatar University, Department of Architecture and Urban Planning on Jun 09, 2011
- 2,162 views
College of Engineering
Department of Architecture and Urban Planning-DAUP
Course Code and Title: ARCH 312 - Architectural Design Studio 3
Instructor: Dr. Yasser Mahgoub, Associate Professor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Neighborhood Community Center
Students are required to develop a preliminary design of a neighborhood community center that offers integrated services to address the complex social and physical challenges facing many neighborhoods in Doha. Its focus is on developing the community through cultural pride, education and arts appreciation. A second aspect of its uniqueness is the multi-cultural and multi-ethnic composition of the Qatar’s population who participate in the activities.
The center is about 3,000-square-meters of gross area and approximately 5,000 m2 of land area.
It should include (but not limited to):
- Entrance (50m2): Waiting and reception area (50 m2)
- Children Zone (200m2): Play area for toys and books (200 m2) and outdoors playground (300 m2)
- Youth Zone (300m2): Majlis (100m2) and four 4 meeting room for workshops, computer terminals and groups activities. (4x50 m2 each)
- Elderly Zone (300m2): Majlis (100m2) and Four (4) private meeting rooms (4x50 m2)
- Female Zone (200m2): Majlis (100m2) and 2 activities workshops (2x50m2).
- General Zone (2000m2)including:
o Majlis (200m2) for sitting and meeting
o Multipurpose hall (400 m2) with kitchen (50 m2)
o Multipurpose temporary exhibition gallery (400 m2)
o Lecture room for 200 persons (200 m2)
o Learning Resource Center (library) (200 m2) equipped with state-of-the-art computer lab for multimedia and internet access. The library contains written, video and audio materials to assist and strengthen community associations.
o Four classrooms/workshops (4x100 m2)
o Administration composed of six (6) offices (6x30 m2) and a mini-kitchen (20m2).
o Storage (50 m2)
- Garden and landscape (2000m2)
The building should achieve the highest rating of sustainability by applying Qatar Sustainability Assessment System (QSAS). (http://qsas.org/) The objective of QSAS is to create a sustainable built environment that minimizes ecological impact while addressing the specific regional needs and environment of Qatar. QSAS consists of several categories, criteria and measurements that serve as valuable tools for sustainable design and development.
1. Collect relevant design data from architectural references regarding neighborhood community buildings design.
2. Collect information regarding Qatar Sustainability Assessment System (QSAS). (http://qsas.org/).
3. Collect and study several examples from different sources of contemporary architecture projects. Select one building/project to use as precedence and collect information and drawings.
- Layout scale 1:400
- Plans scale 1:200
- 2 Elevations scale 1:200
- Section scale 1:200
- Exterior Perspective, Axonometric, or Isometric
- Model scale 1:200 or 1:400
The selected site is “Dahl Al-Hamam park” as shown in map.
- Total Views
- Views on SlideShare
- Embed Views