Nicaragua Rope Pump Storyline

743 views
657 views

Published on

Published in: Business, Travel
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
743
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
2
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
3
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Nicaragua Rope Pump Storyline

  1. 1. <ul><li>Benefits of the Rope Pump </li></ul><ul><li>Simple low cost technology, efficient for up to 50 meters deep and appropriate for rural areas. </li></ul><ul><li>Produced locally with available materials. </li></ul><ul><li>The use and maintenance of the rope pump is done by the user. </li></ul><ul><li>Project Objectives </li></ul><ul><li>Identify the market potential for Rope Pumps in Nicaragua from a small scale entrepreneur perspective. </li></ul><ul><li>Analyze the marketing and sales strategy of the current distributors. </li></ul><ul><li>Establish marketing recommendations that will allow a position in local and regional markets </li></ul>Preparing the market for Rope Pumps in Nicaragua In Nicaragua more than 1.1 million people from rural areas do not have access to drinking water due to lack of good service and facilities, the institutional weaknesses, or droughts.
  2. 2. <ul><li>53% of wells have been built by NGOs and Government Institutions, the other 47% has been done by the users own means. This shows that even with limited income the need to have water in rural areas, forces the user to make the investment. </li></ul>Results and Challenges <ul><li>The study identifies the following current and potential supply and demand: </li></ul><ul><li>Supply </li></ul><ul><li>50,000 rope pumps sold since 1990 at an average price of US$ 100 </li></ul><ul><li>3 semi industrial workshops with the appropriate resources (human, technical and financial), and 7 artisan workshops </li></ul><ul><li>Demand </li></ul><ul><li>250,000 open wells </li></ul><ul><li>75,000 rope pumps required for the next 5 years represents annual sales of US$ 1,500,000. </li></ul><ul><li>Challenges Ahead </li></ul><ul><li>Increase demand of the rope pumps among the rural dispersed communities. </li></ul><ul><li>Strengthening the providers on marketing techniques, association and access to credit. </li></ul><ul><li>Financial facilities for the user to buy the rope pump in payments. </li></ul><ul><li>The need of advocacy with government and donors on the alternative use of rope pump low cost technology. </li></ul>

×