Having worked with businesses in a lot of different industry verticals, I can confidently say that analytics is important to everyone and needs to be tailored to each business.
Visitor Stitching-> opinion based on GA Developers Talk at Google I/O broadcast on youtube.
The fact that UA is still in beta and is missing a number of these features which I find invaluable to marketers, led me to co-deploy all of my Universal implementations with the “standard” version of GA.
This led me to Google Tag Manager as a quick way to update a client’s code base on their site and deploy two versions of Google Analytics at the same time.I quickly noticed that it was so much more.Super PowerfulGreat, Intuitive InterfaceFree
General Introduction to Google Tag Manager
Want to re-target NON Branded Organic Google Search, have the referrer be Google, URL not equal the homepage or have any tracking parameters on it.
For a co-deployment between Universal and GA, we simply set the same rule to fire both UA and GA Tags.
Doug had a better naming convention in his tags that I did. Don’t pay too close of attention here.
As you can see, for some reason the GTM custom dimensions are not sorted in any sort of usable order. Certainly not the order I created them in.
The above funnel shows users who did all the steps in a particular funnel and can be created completely on the fly (similar to goal flow report, but not based on users not sessions).Oneof the things that I like about KissMetrics is that the data is reprocessed and that the visitor stitching is also retroactive. So as soon as you alias a login to the clientID, all reports will reprocess within a day or so to represent the new data set.
Basic JSON Object of Name / Value combinations that provides a simple structured of exposing information you want to pass into a some tool, like a Tag Management System.
Publish date – is newer content or older content driving bring users to site. How long does it take newer content to begin ranking and bringing in SEO traffic.Published hour = good for determining optimal publish timesCount of publish hour in excel = # of published articles per author
Using motion charts to find periods of ‘stickiness’ and overall growth or decline in visitor loyalty. For example, if I was a newspaper that had a revenue model based upon pageviews, I’d definitely be interested in the trends surrounding how many times users are visiting the site.
These documents were PDFs so we had to grab meta data about them on click. Normally, PDF tracking is as simple as grabbing the file name onclick. In this case, the documents were served in a different manner by the server so their was no PDF filetype to track. The multiple meta data points around the content was also important to the marketing department. This took a number of months for IT to achieve. In the meantime, using GTM, we were able to deploy a decent working solution which then improved once the development team was able to complete there task.
In this image I super imposed the CV over a visits column
One of the most important aspects of determining the values that are passed to the data layer, are the companies business objective themselves. This business…. (explain what they do).
Clear next step is to focus on acquiring traffic targeted the courses that have a higher propensity to lead to conversion.Creating different funnel visualizations between Course Page > Registration Form, or course page to registration completion.Web Dev and project management had a lot of people make it to the REG form but not complete the form.
In the above example, A/B test to emphasize internal search engine as a pathway towards purchase.
1. About @analyticsninja
Loves working with fun businesses
2. Goals of this
• Discuss the benefits of Universal Analytics and
Google Tag Manager
• Provide a general overview and training for how
to use GTM, especially for UA implementations
• Tactical implementation examples and how to
use the resulting data
3. THANK YOU
4. Caleb Whitmore
5. Benefits Of Universal Analytics
• Custom Dimensions and Custom Metrics
– Much better reporting that is more accessible
across organizations, 20 vs 5 CVs for GA Standard.
• Measurement Protocol
– Offline conversions FTW!
• GA’s First Attempt at Visitor Stitching
– From what I can ascertain, still lots of room for
improvement. Also, still not out of closed beta.
• Many Settings Configured on the Backend
– Less likely to cause problems due to coding fails
6. Still Missing…
• Most 3rd party plugins are stuck in _gaq land
• Content Experiments
– Not a huge loss
7. Use Case: Teams in
US West Coast, Europe, Australia, Israel
11. Basic Intro to GTM
• Rules cause tags to fire
– URLs / hostnames / referrers
– Values or Conditions present in Macro
• Macros values
• Events trigger rules to execute if conditions
are not already present to fire tag when GTM
15. Sample Universal Analytics Tags
16. Sample Universal Analytics Macros
17. Sample Universal Analytics Macros
18. Inside the Universal Analytics Tag
19. Tagging using
helper file vs. multiple tags / rules
20. Quickly extend implementation
21. Data Layer
22. Sample Data Layer for Publishers
• Article publish date
• Article publish hour
• Topics / Tags
• Article Category
– Sub Category
• Free or Restricted Content
• User Logged In State
• Newsletter Subscriber
• Registration Date
• First Visit Date
• # of Weekly Visits
23. # Of Weekly Visits
24. # Of Weekly Visits
25. Date of First Visit
Tableau viz via @calebwhitmore
26. Accessing Restricted Content
27. Create Segments to compare
Conversion Rates of users who took specific action
28. Smart Data Layer => Smart Decisions
29. Smart Data Layer => Smart Decisions
30. Smart Data Layer => Smart Decisions
31. Course Technology > Course Name
32. Smart Data Layer => Smart Decisions
33. Sample Data Layer for Ecommerce
• Page Type
• Product Category
• Product Sub Category (etc)
• Product Brand
• Product Name
• Product SKU
• Product Price
• Product Gender (if relevant)
• Product Promo / Discount
First Visit Date
First Purchase Date
Count of Purchase
Days Since Previous
User registration date
Business Name (B2B)
Business Vertical (B2B)
34. All custom dimensions require admin setup
35. Smart Data Layer => Smart Decisions
Page value, assuming properly
configured ecommerce and goal values,
is an excellent index to use when looking
to analyze page level dimensions .
36. Smart Data Layer => Smart Decisions
37. Smart Data Layer => Smart Decisions
38. Smart Data Layer => Smart Decisions
39. Smart Data Layer => Smart Decisions
40. Smart Data Layer => Smart Decisions
Product Name Product Promotion
41. Smart Data Layer => Smart Decisions
“Real” Page Value
42. Divide Unique Purchases
by Unique Purchases
43. Explore Profit Metrics in GA
44. Smart Data Layer => Smart Decisions
“Real” Page Value = Profit per Unique PV
45. Google Tag Manager Transaction Tags
• GTM does not support custom dimensions for
item hits (yet). You should still push all of the
additional meta data into a
• Use a custom html ecommerce tag if you want
to be able to look at secondary dimensions
within the commerce reports.
• Alternatively, just use event tracking and
custom dimensions to rebuild the commerce
46. Universal Analytics for
CRM Integrations and B2B Lead Gen
47. Universal Analytics for
CRM Integrations and B2B Lead Gen
• Universal Analytics offers powerful new
features (Custom Dimensions, Measurement
Protocol, etc). You should deploy it if you
haven’t do so yet.
• Google Tag Manager is a free and powerful
TMS. Requires someone who knows what
they’re doing, but will make implementations
more flexible, extendible, and manageable.
• Strategic consideration of a business’s
objectives and underlying business questions is
the foundation upon which a Smart Data Layer
is built, which will lead to Smart Decisions.
• GTM allows one to navigate the balance
between doing things that “right way” (i.e.
proper on-page markup, fully defined CMS
driven Data Layer) versus bootstrap approaches
to get data quickly when IT may take months or
more to complete tasks
• Page value, assuming properly configured
ecommerce and goal values, is an excellent
index to use when looking to analyze page level
dimensions such as product attributes or
• Dividing unique purchases of products by
unique pageviews of those product pages yields
a “look to book” ratio that should have a direct
impact on decisions regarding product
placement and ad spend. (Propensity to buy).
• Use Server-Side hits to capture PROFIT metrics
in GA. Profit is far more important than
conversion rate or per visit value.