Now that we have the labeled tissue, used Confocal microscopy to get…
Mapping of Vibrissa Sensory Input in the Trigeminal - MAPPING OF ...
MAPPING OF WHISKER SENSORY INPUT IN
THE TRIGEMINAL GANGLION OF THE
David W. Matthews
Dr. David Kleinfeld
University of California, San Diego
Mapping the Trigeminal Ganglion
• Where is the trigeminal ganglion (TG)?
• What makes up the TG?
• Whisker follicle injections
• Image analysis
• TG patterning
• Going forward
Adapted from Kleinfeld, et al. 2008
Where is the TG?
Adapted from Kleinfeld, et al. 2006
What makes up the TG?
• Many different cell types
– Whisker sensory neurons
– Temperature-sensing neurons
– Motor (movement) neurons
– Correlations to vision
– Trigeminal neuralgia
• Blood vessels rub against TG cells
rostral (R), caudal (C),
lateral (L), medial (M)
Why should spatial organization
• Gene Expression
Adapted from Waite 1992 Adapted from Hodge 2007
Whisker Follicle Injections
• Fluorescent retrograde neuron labeling
– Alexa Fluor® Cholera Toxin Subunit B
– Wild type mice, age ~P16
• TG histological slice
– 50 to 75 micrometer slices
• Confocal Microscopy
• Image through sample (~50-100 um)
• Develop image stacks
"Confocal Microscopy", D Semwogerere & ER Weeks, published in the
Encyclopedia of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, Taylor & Francis (2005).