Now that we have the labeled tissue, used Confocal microscopy to get…
MAPPING OF WHISKER SENSORY INPUT IN
THE TRIGEMINAL GANGLION OF THE
David W. Matthews
Dr. David Kleinfeld
University of California, San Diego
Mapping the Trigeminal Ganglion
• Where is the trigeminal ganglion (TG)?
• What makes up the TG?
• Whisker follicle injections
• Image analysis
• TG patterning
• Going forward
Adapted from Kleinfeld, et al. 2008
Where is the TG?
Adapted from Kleinfeld, et al. 2006
What makes up the TG?
• Many different cell types
– Whisker sensory neurons
– Temperature-sensing neurons
– Motor (movement) neurons
– Correlations to vision
– Trigeminal neuralgia
• Blood vessels rub against TG cells
rostral (R), caudal (C),
lateral (L), medial (M)
Why should spatial organization
• Gene Expression
Adapted from Waite 1992 Adapted from Hodge 2007
Whisker Follicle Injections
• Fluorescent retrograde neuron labeling
– Alexa Fluor® Cholera Toxin Subunit B
– Wild type mice, age ~P16
• TG histological slice
– 50 to 75 micrometer slices
• Confocal Microscopy
• Image through sample (~50-100 um)
• Develop image stacks
"Confocal Microscopy", D Semwogerere & ER Weeks, published in the
Encyclopedia of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, Taylor & Francis (2005).