disabled people in our society <ul><li>Yanira María Rosario Alemán </li></ul><ul><li>2º Magisterio, Lengua Extranjera </li></ul><ul><li>Idioma Extranjero y su didáctica I </li></ul>
1. History of disabled people They were considered inferior and weak. They were killed or hidden from other people The others were abandoned in hospitals, mental institutions…
2. What do disability and discrimination mean? physical sensory Cognitive Or intellectual DISABILITY IMPAIRMENTS
2. What do disability and discrimination mean? discrimination Treating someone worse than other people for some reason
2. What do disability and discrimination mean? The disability Rights Commission Stop discrimination Against disabled people improve the rights, independence and inclusion of disabled people The Department of Health and the Disability Rights Commission The disability Discrimination Act Disabled people must be treated fairly
3. two real examples of overcoming yourself <ul><li>NATALIE, THE SWIMMER WHO LOST A LEG </li></ul>
3. two real examples of overcoming yourself <ul><li>BETHANY, THE SURFER WHO LOST AN ARM </li></ul>
4. Education for disabled people Special schools Only for disabled children Teachers know more about their disability More individual attention State schools Are ordinary schools that any child can go They admit all children including those who have special needs Integration
Inclusive education The student is assigned to a regular class as his/her primary placement with full supports provided for individualized services 4. Education for disabled people the time that a student spends In the regular classroon depends On his/her individual needs
Self-Contained Unit 4. Education for disabled people A special education room for students with a specific category of disability They interact with peers without disabilities in some school activities, extracurricular activities…
5. questions <ul><li>Do you think that disabled children are better in state schools with other children or in special schools? </li></ul><ul><li>Do you think that our society is adapted for disabled people? Why/ why not? </li></ul><ul><li>In state schools, how can teachers help disabled children? </li></ul><ul><li>Do you think that their classmates treat them as equals? Why?/why not? </li></ul>
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.