2. Music 101a) Southeast Asian music include the musical traditions of this subregion of Asia. This subregion consists of eleven countries, namely,Brunei, Cambodia, East Timor, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, and Northeast India.
3. General types of music inMainland Southeast Asia: 1) Court music (classical): majority ethnic groups with political power Large ensembles of instruments signifying political power. Today maintained in educational institutions. Form: Instruments embellish a basic melodic core. Colotomic (time marking) instruments; Music based on modes (explicit or implicit theory).
4. The PhilippinesTwo musical cultures—Western and Southeast Asian—prevail inthe Philippines. Western music is practiced by some 90 percent ofthe population, while Southeast Asian examples are heard only inmountain and inland regions, among about 10 percent of thepeople.The Western tradition dates back to the 17th century, when thefirst Spanish friars taught plainchant and musical theory andintroduced such European musical instruments as the flute, oboe,guitar, and harp. There subsequently arose a new music related toChristian practices but not connected with the liturgy.Processional songs, hymns in honor of the Blessed Virgin, ...(50,627 of 50,627 words)
5. 2) Folk music: associated with ethnicminority groups Tends to be vocal; often with instrumentalaccompaniment Tends to be connected to tonal languages Music as communication between the sexes(vocal and instrumental) 3) Popular music: emerging from urbancenters Draws upon folk music and Westernpop to varying degrees. Promotes national identity; promotes urbanvalue system.
6. Quiz 1 Musical instrument of Thailand is pipphatYesNo
7. Southeast Asian music include the musical traditions of this subregion of Asia. This subregion consists of _______ countries. 12 11 10 9
8. QUIZ 3. 2. Identify the following musical Instrumentxylophoneangklunggamelan
9. Quiz 4.Match column A to Column B. Brunei Cambodia Thailand Indonesia Myannmar