1945 It was first published in 1945 by the Bliss Carman Society of Fredericon,
which was founded in 1940 by Alfred Bailey at the University of New Brunswick.
The fifteenth issue contains a list of regular contributors.1952
early 50's The magazine began to take on a life of its own.
early 1953 The Fiddlehead grow into a national literary magazine.
Cogswell became editor of The Fiddlehead.
1959 Began including one piece of short fiction per issue.
1961 Only two years after becoming editor, Cogswell increased the magazine’s total
subscribers “by 658.064%,” from 31 to over 200.
1967 Kent Thompson became editor, he continued the professionalization project
that Cogswell began. He increased the complement of short stories in every issue.
Robert Gibbs took over as editor.1971
1975 Roger Ploude initially agreed to look after the journal in 1975.
Summer 1981 New editor Peter Thomas reaffirmed the magazine’s regional origins
early 80's Don Conway assisted and then replaced him in the early 80s and
Michael Taylor took over full-time for the last half of the decade.
1995 Don McKay wrote that the journal has never subscribed to “specific doctrines
and programs” and has consistently “placed attention ahead of direction, broad
aesthetic range ahead of selective listening”
2010 A Fiddlehead blog was also established.
The journal has also become less anxious about positioning itself as a
national Canadian literary magazine.
1999 Along with subscription, submission, and contest information, tables of
contents for every issue published since 1999 can be found on the
Ross Leckie, editor from 1997 to the present1997
Do not look at this journal as old!
It is experienced; wise enough to recognize excellence;
always looking for freshness and surprise.”
The Fiddlehead was, and is, an essential part of
Canada’s literary life. Its editors have always taken
seriously their responsibility to seek out and
encourage new young writers and give them
a hearing in the company of their elders.”
- John Metcalf