Nuclear – David sized, Giant force
" Veikkaus Football Betting: David & Goliath"
（Unrestricted submarine warfare）
• In the early stages of the war, the U-boats
(Untersee-boot) were extremely effective in
destroying Allied shipping. In the mid-Atlantic,
There was an extensive trade in war supplies
and food, which was critical for Britain's
Detail from John Hamilton's painting of a wolf pack attack on merchant vessels.
• The speed and range were severely limited
underwater while running on battery power, U-
boats were required to spend most of their time
surfaced running on diesel engines, diving only
when attacked or for rare daytime torpedo strikes.
• The most common U-boat attack during the early
years of the war was conducted on the surface
and at night.
• Before the Allied forces developed truly effective
antisubmarine warfare (ASW) tactics, this period
was referred to by German submariners as
"die glückliche Zeit“ (the happy time) .
Is this the end of
• "I touch my country's mind, I come to grips -
With half her purpose, thinking of these
ships...They mark our passage as a race of men.
Earth will not see such ships as those again."
• It did not surface at the Pole,
but continued on, and after 96
hours and 1,830 miles / 2945 km
submerged under the ice pack,
the Nautilus surfaced in the
• Cylindrical profile of modern nuclear submarines,
which are more hydrodynamic underwater, but
less stable on the surface; opposite is generally
true of U-boats subs
• Radar and anti-submarine aircraft, which had
proved crucial in defeating submarines during the
War, proved ineffective against a vessel able to
quickly move out of an area, change depth
quickly and stay submerged for very long periods
ballistic missile submarines (SSBN)
• Each submarine was armed with up to 16 UGM-
27 Polaris A-3 nuclear missiles