1. I. Cell Structure and Function A. What is meant by STRUCTURE? 1. What it is made of and how its parts are put together. 2. EX: How would you describe the structure of an acoustic guitar? made of wood hollow chamber long wooden neck made of six strings 3. In biology...Structure....is determined by how cells are put together!!
2. B. What is meant by FUNCTION? 1. Function is the what a structure can do or what it´s ‘ purpose is. 2. What is the function of the acoustic guitar? 3. Is the structure related to its function? Why? 4. For living things (organisims)....function means..... a. Processes that allow the living thing to stay alive and reproduce. b. EX: Getting Oxygen Disposal of waste (getting rid of..) Obtaining Food Growing
3. C. SIZE OF CELLS 1. Look at Figure 2 in your Book on page 7..What is the purpose of this figure? 2. Cells are SMALL!!!....1 cm squared contains 100,000 cells 3. Most of what we know about cells has been learned in the last 25 years!!!
4. II. Looking inside the Cell ACTIVITY: WORKING IN GROUPS OF 3 Create a set of notecards to help study cell organelles. You will need to make 4 cards for each organelle. 1. Organelle Name Card 2. Function Card 3. Structure Card 4. Sketch Card When you are finished. Mix the cards up on the table and practice matching organelles with function, structure, and sketch.
5. CELL MEMBRANE ccellkasrdtretdslfsadk
6. Controls what substances come intoand out of the cell. Ex. waste, oxygen LINESfood. ccellkasrdtretdslfsadk BLANK FUNCTION ccellkasrdtretdslfsadk
7. Built like a window screen. Looks likea boundary. Contains holes. Seperates ccellkasrdtretdslfsadk LINEScell from its environment. BLANK STRUCTURE ccellkasrdtretdslfsadk
8. ccellkasrdtretdslfsadk LINESMake Sketch Here ccellkasrdtretdslfsadk BLANK