This presentation will detail out the problemwith insufficient health informatics jobtracking, the background of the field, itsdevelopment and the different career paths forhealth informaticians.
One problem in the field of heath informaticscareers is the lack of proper job tracking. The U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics currently onlytracks one type of health informatics occupationwhich is medical records.• However this one field only accounts for 60% of healthinformatics jobs.• The remaining 40% of jobs in the heath informatics field arenot tracked.
Health informatics is the study ofcommunication systems and information inhealthcare.The field of health informatics has beennicknamed the ‘logic of healthcare.’Health informatics is documented as far backas the 1800s.
Working with the U.S Bureau of Labor toexpand the surveillance system for healthinformatics.It is important that this missing data becollected and added into the surveillancestatistics for health informatics jobs in theUnited States.
Health informatics is a board term that cantranslate too many different career areas. As stated before the only jobs that are tracked aremedical record positions which account for 60%of the health informatics workforce. This 40% includes: Heath informationsupervisors, managers, auditors, compliancereview staff, clinical documentation andimprovement specialists ("A growing jobs,"2012).
Health Care InformaticsMedical Health InformaticsNursing Health InformaticsPublic Health InformaticsConsumer Health InformaticsClinical Health InformaticsTranslational BioinformaticsClinical Research InformaticsBiomedical Informatics
To conclude, the major take away points forthis white paper include:• The history and development of heath informatics, theimpact that the field of heath informatics has on theUnited States heath care system, the urgent need forsufficient career tracking in the field of healthinformatics.
A growing jobs sector: health informatics. (2012, June). Retrieved from http://www.jff.org/sites/default/files/CTW_burning_glass_publication_052912.pdf("A growing jobs," 2012)Archive for the ‘history & future of healthcare informatics’ category. (2012, January 22). Retrieved from http://healthcare-informatics-resources.com/category/history-future-of- healthcare-informatics/("Archive for the," 2012)Bernstam, E., Smith, J., & Johnson, T. (n.d.). What is biomedical informatics?. (2011). Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2814957/(Bernstam, Smith & Johnson, 2011)Clinical informatics. (2013). Retrieved from http://www.amia.org/applications- informatics/clinical-informatics("Clinical informatics," 2013)Clinical research informatics. (2013). Retrieved from http://www.amia.org/applications-informatics/clinical-research-informatics("Clinical research informatics," 2013)Eysenbach, G. (n.d.). Consumer health informatics. (2000). BMJ, 310(7251), 1713-1716.(Eysenbach, 2000)Health informatics. (2013). Retrieved from http://robinson.gsu.edu/cis/health-informatics.html("Health informatics," 2013)Health information 101. (2013). Retrieved from http://www.hicareers.com/health_information_101/health_information_101.aspx("Health information 101," 2013)Health innovation from health information. (2013). Retrieved from http://healthinformatics.umich.edu/careers("Health innovation from," 2013)Hersh, W. (n.d.). Heath and biomedical informatics: Opportunities and challenges for a twenty-first century profession and its education. (2008).(Hersh, 2008)Hoffman, S., & Ash, J. (n.d.). Job market survey of health informatic professionals. (2000). AMIA, Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2243995/?page=1(Hoffman & Ash, 2000)Introduction to health informatics. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.coiera.com/("Introduction to health”)Landers, J. (2013, March 20). What is healthcare informatics?. Retrieved from http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-healthcare-informatics.htm(Landers, 2013)Medical informatics. (2012). Retrieved from http://medinfo.rit.edu/main/index.maml("Medical informatics," 2012)Mission and history. (2013). Retrieved from http://www.amia.org/about-amia/mission-and-history("Mission and history," 2013)Nursing informatics. (2008, December 31). Retrieved from http://explorehealthcareers.org/en/Career/91/Nursing_Informatics("Nursing informatics," 2008)Nursing informatics. (2013). Retrieved from http://www.amia.org/programs/working-groups/nursing-informatics("Nursing informatics," 2013)Translational bioinformatics. (2013). Retrieved from http://www.amia.org/applications-informatics/translational-bioinformatics("Translational bioinformatics," 2013)Workforce development program. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.healthit.gov/policy-researchers-implementers/workforce-development-program("Workforce development program," )Yasnoff, W., Overhage, M., Humphreys, B., & LaVenture, M. (n.d.). A national agenda for public health informatics. (2001). JAMIA, 8(6),(Yasnoff, Overhage, Humphreys & LaVenture, 2001