• It’s a Special Day…
we will take some time
to discover why…and
how to make everyday
• Every single person can make a
change…this can create a spiral effect
to SAVE our world.
• I am the ONLY person RESPONSIBLE for my
• I choose to recycle…to make the world better
place for my family.
• I choose today to introduce and challenge each
of you to RECYCLE!
• I shop with canvas totes…
• I take these to the grocery store and the
mall! I don’t want their plastic bags!
Statistics on Plastic Bags and
Reasons to Stop Using Them!
• Plastic bags often end up in nature…and oceans
• Sea turtles mistake clear plastic bags for
jellyfish. Birds swoop down and swallow the
plastic. The petroleum-based plastics take
decades to break down, and as long as they
float on the ocean's surface, they can appear as
• "These animals die because the plastic
eventually fills their stomachs…It doesn't pass,
and they literally starve to death.“
• Source: www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin
to be eaten
to harm the
Statistics on the Amount of Time
Items Take to Decompose
. The New York Times and other sources : Has the following listed:
Paper: 2.5 months
Milk Carton: 5 years
Cigarette Butt: 10-12 years
Plastic Bag: some say 10-20 years…other sources say 100 years
Disposable diapers: 75 years -450 years
Tin Can: 100 years-200 years
Plastic Bottle: 450 years
Glass Bottle: 1,000,000 years
Sources:Nemve E Metropolitan Diary, Oct. 1,2001 www.thatdanny.com
• In 2006, Americans drank about 167 bottles of water
each, but only recycled an average of 23 percent. That
leaves 38 billion water bottles in landfills.
• Bottled water costs between $1 and $4 per gallon and 90
percent of the cost is in the bottle, lid and label.
• According to the Beverage Marketing Corp, the average
American consumed 1.6 gallons of bottled water in 1976.
In 2006 that number jumped to 28.3 gallons.
• It takes over 1.5 million barrels of oil to manufacture a
year’s supply of bottled water. That’s enough oil to fuel
• Eight out of 10 plastic water bottles become
• In 2007 we spent $16 billion on bottled water.
That’s more than we spent on iPods or movie
• Plastic bottles take 450-700 years before they
begin to decompose in a landfill.
• If everyone in NYC gave up water bottles for one
week they would save 24 million bottles from
being land filled; one month would save 112
million bottles and one year would save 1.328
billion bottles from going into the landfill.
How To Conserve Energy and
• Shut the water off while brushing your
teeth…or brush your teeth in the shower!
• Put a bucket in your shower to capture
water…use it to water your plants.
• Shut off the water while washing the
dishes (by hand)
• Use less electricity in the summer by
running appliances in the early morning or
late evening…run “full” loads
Changes in Household Items
• Change hazardous
waste material in your
If Not Us…Then Who?
• If we don’t change…then who will?
• Society tends to always think someone
else will do “it”.
• “It” happens to other people, “it” doesn’t
• I THINK “IT” DOES!!!