1. Professional Practices CE-428Computers in Estimating Lecture 5
2. Benefits of Computers• Computerised estimating offers many benefits to the estimator. It increases the efficiency of the estimating process.• Following are some of the benefits of computerised estimating: – Reduction of calculation errors giving a more accurate cost for the project – Increased estimating speed which allows the estimator time to prepare more estimates – Many computerized estimating packages allow the estimator to track where quantities came from – Quick and easy to make changes
3. Computerized Estimating• Computer cannot think for the estimator• Computerized estimating is a tool, just like a calculator, to help prepare the estimate• Always ask, Does this number make sense?
4. Dangers of Computers• Turn thinking over to computer – Estimating becomes data-entry• Using the software for estimates it was not designed for – Results in incorrect quantities, costs, labor hours, etc.
5. Spreadsheets software (Microsoft Excel)• Often used in conjunction with specialized software packages• In 2003, the American Society of Professional Estimators reported that 29% of construction companies used Excel as an estimating tool.• Advantages – Cheap – Easily to adapted
6. Specialized Estimating Software• Advantages: – Can take off assemblies • For example, all of the components of an interior wall (studs, track, sound insulation, dry wall, paint and base) can be taken off by entering the length and height of the wall – Easily viewed in different formats • Different formats can be used to print the estimate – Prepares standard and custom reports – Can quickly make changes
7. Specialized Estimating Software• Disadvantages – Expensive – Time consuming to set up and maintain
8. WinEst Estimate SheetFigure 5.1Courtesy of WinEstimator Inc.
9. WinEstDatabaseFigure 5.2Courtesy of WinEstimator Inc.
10. WinEst TotalsPage Figure 5.3 Courtesy of WinEstimator Inc.
11. Takeoff Software• Determine quantities from electronic set of drawings• Advantages – Track where quantities come from – Calculate areas and volumes – Inexpensive to reproduce drawings • Can be emailed
12. On-Screen TakeoffFigure 5.4Courtesy of OnCenter Software