1. From the text we know that . . . . A. The insects in the area are dangerous. B. The snakes in the area are venomous. C. The insects and snakes in the area are harmful. D. The insects and snakes in the area are harmless. Read the text and answer questions 2 to 3. November 11th, 2011 To: Mira Please inform to your entire classmates that we’ll have a test tomorrow. Take the copied materials on my desk then distribute them to your friends. Make sure that your friends are notified of this announcement. Thank you. Mr. Mahmud2. Why does Mr. Mahmud send Mira a message? Because…. a. Mira must copy the material for the test b. Mira’s classmates have a test on November 11th, 2011 c. Mira’s classmates take the copied materials for the test d. Mira has to ensure that her friends are notified of the announcement3. From the text we know that? a. Mira will copy the material for the test. b. Mr. Mahmud will be informed about the test. c. Mr. Mahmud will announce the test tomorrow. d. The student will have an assessment tomorrow. Read the text and answer questions 4 to 5. Dear Tommy, I heard that you have won an English debate competition and got the highest score at your school. I am very happy for your success. Congratulations! You deserved it Auntie Susan
4. The text is written in order to …. A. inform someone about a competition B. announce someone‟s success in a competition C. tell someone about an English debate competition D. congratulate someone about his success in a competition5. How is auntie Susan‟s feeling about Tommy? A. Pleased B. Annoyed C. Frustrated D. Disappointed Read the text and answer questions 6 to 7. To : All students of 9th grade of SMP Bina Nusantara We invite you to join our graduation party Day/ Date: Saturday, June 20th, 2012 Time : 7.00 p.m Place : Jayakarta Hotel ,Soekarno Street no 45 Surabaya We have struggled hard and succeeded. Let’s celebrate our success. Don’t miss it! *Invitation cards are available at the OSIS room. The Committee6. From the text we can conclude that …. A. the students will have a party B. all students will come to the party C. the students have finished their study D. the students have received the invitation cards7. Where will the graduation party be held? A. At school hall B. At Jayakarta Hotel C. At OSIS room D. At SMP Bina Nusantara
Read the text and answer questions 8 to 9. Announcement To : all of grade 9 students Please be well informed that you have to join English Courses Program organized by the students’ organization from Monday, 14th November 2011 to Wednesday, 16th November 2011. You will be taught by well experienced instructors from Intensive English Course (IEC). Place : School hall Time : 4.00 – 5.30 p.m.8. The text above tell us about . . . . A. students organization Mr. Made B. English Course Program C. Intensive English Course The Headmaster D. experienced instructors9. To whom is the announcement above? A. The Students‟ Organization B. The English Instructors C. The students of grade 9 D. The Headmaster For the questions 10 to 11. Dealers In Paper Office Stationery Specialist Dealers in paper office stationery specialist in computer ribbons, cartridge, photo copy toners, all kind of school & office items (hp, lexmark, canon, epson, sharp, samsung, toshiba) no 7-1/7, 1st cross street, colomo 11. e- mail:firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com tel/fax: 0114736617, 0112340170 mobile : 0773672882/077840366110. What kind of stationery does the dealer sell? A. Printers B. Computers C. Photo copy machines D. Office and school11. “ ....all kind of school&office items”. The underlined word has similar meaning with . . . . A. equipment B. paper C. photo copy D. e-mail
Read the text and answer questions 12 to 14.Name train Class Departure ArrivalFajar Utama Yogya Business 08.00 a.m (Tugu) 04.33 p.m (Pasar Senen)Argo Lawu Executive 08.53 a.m (Tugu) 04.03 p.m (Pasar Senen)Taksaka Pagi Executive 10.00 a.m (Tugu) 05.55 p.m (gambir)Senja Utama Business 06.30 p.m (Tugu) 03.32 a.m (Pasar Senen)YogyaArgo Dwipangga Executive 09.53 p.m (Tugu) 04.08 a.m (Gambir)12. What is the purpose of the text ? A. To announce about the time schedule of bus B. To provide information about the time schedule of train C. To retell the readers about the time schedule of plane D. To report about the time schedule ship13. When will Argo Lawu leave for Jakarta? A. In the morning B. At noon C. In the afternoon D. In the evening14. From the text we know that … A. Taksaka Pagi will arrive in Jakarta earlier than Argo Lawu B. Argo Dwipangga will depart for Jakarta in the afternoon C. It will take more than 8 hours to travel by Fajar Utama Yogya D. Senja Utama Yogya offers an Executive classFor questions 15 to 16. To : Angel@yahoo.co.id Cc : Subject : Birthday Dear Angel, Next April 25 is Arumi’s birthday. My husband and I are planning to Celebrate it with a small party with kids in an orphanage. We want to share happiness and care with others who need it the most. The orphanage we plan to visit is Mekar Sari Orphanage which is located in Serpong, Tangerang, Banten. Besides celebrating Arumi’s birthday, we also plan to give donation to the orphanage. We are going to give clothes, toys, rice, cooking oil, child/ baby milk. I think you may like to give donation too! So please contact me son if you have decided to do so. Love Amirah
15. What is the e-mail about? A. The writer‟s birthday B. The birthday in the orphanage. C. Arumi‟s birthday in orphanage. D. Mekar Sari Orphanage.16. “... celebrate it with a small party with kids in an orphanage”. The antonym of underlined word is ... . A. big B. bit C. wide D. long Read the text and answer queastions 17 to 19. Taufik Hidayat (born August 10, 1981 in Bandung, West Java) is an Indonesian badmintonplayer. When he was young, he joined the SGS Club, a badminton club in Bandung, where hewas trained under Iie Sumirat. He is a former World and Olympic champion in mens singles. He has also won theIndonesian Open six times (1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2006).Hidayat won the menssingles competition in badminton at the 2004 Summer Olympics. In August 2005, he won themens singles competition at the IBF World Championships. He also won the gold medal at theAsian Games twice, at Busan in 2002 and Doha in 2006. Hidayats main qualities are his backhand, forehand, jump smash, drop shot,smoothfootwork and deceiving net play. This overwhelming power on both his forehand and backhand,combined with his tenacity at the net and scope for deceptive shots, provide him with anextremely diverse weaponry on court, making him one of the most difficult players to face on theopen circuit. Criticisms are in his lack of fitness, impatience with loud crowds and his propensityto return a net shot with a net shot, even though his opponent is dangerously close to the net.17. The text is about a/an …. A. athlete B. player C. medalist D. champion18. What is the main idea of the last paragraph? Taufik Hidayat‟s ... . A. club B. techniques C. achievements D. characteristics19. In what year, TaufikcHidayat won both Indonesian Open and Summer Olympics? A. 2003. B. 2004. C. 2005. D. 2006.
Read the text and answer questions 20 to 22 Last year, I went to Kupang .At first, I thought the place was only the same as other places in NTT .But I was very surprised to find that it was the most beautiful place I’ve ever visited. There were a fantastic meadow, a lake and a river. The meadow was very large. In the middle of the meadow, there were many cows and sheep. All the animals were fat and healthy because they could easily get some grass in the large meadow. At the edge of meadow, there was a small river. The water in the river was very cold .But; the sound of the streaming water was good to heard, especially in the evening. Not far away from the cattle, there was a lake .The lake wasn’t too big, but it was very beautiful. The water was very clear and clean. I could see many fishes in the lake. The most amazing thing was the water itself. It was not cold, although, the weather around was extremely freezing. Unfortunately, I stayed there for just three days because we had to go back to Ende. But, I have promised myself to come back again later. (adapted from Let’s Talk kls VIII)20. What does the third paragraph tell us about? A. The size of the lake. B. The fishes in the lake. C. The beauty of the lake. D. The weather around the lake.21. What is the best time to hear the sound of the streaming water? A. At noon. B. In the morning. C. In the afternoon. D. In the evening.22. ‟’I stayed there for just three days „‟ (Paragraph 4).The underlined word refers to.... A. the weather B. the water C. the writer D. the fish Read the text and answer queastions 23 to 25 How to plant chiliThe following is guided information on how to plant chili.Here are the steps:Firstly, dry a handful seeding under the sunlight.Secondly, put the seeding on the soil. It should be in open area.Next, wait it. There will come out the sprout after that let it bebigger.Finally, put it in another big pot. It will soon grow bigger and biggerand yield us some fresh chilies soon.
23. What should you do before putting the seeding on the soil ? A. Put it in closed area. B. Put it in another big pot. C. It should be in open area. D. Dry it under the sunlight24. What is the text about ? A. How to plant chili B. How to plant easily C. Guide information about chili D. Information on how to plant easily25. How many steps should we do in the procedure text above? A. Three steps B. Four steps C. Five steps D. Six stepsRead the text and answer questions number 26 to 28 The Siamese Cat Many years ago in the kingdom of Annam, the king loved a rare Siamese cat so much. The catslept in a silk pillow and always ate delicious foods. But the king was a ruthless man. He did not providehis people enough food or clothes. The people were unhappy with the king but remained silent for fearof his punishment. The king’s adviser despised him. He secretly devised a plan to teach the king a lesson. One day, the adviser used his access to steal the cat. He brought the cat home and started totrain the cat to eat the same rotten food as the Annam people did. After several days without eating,finally the cat ate the food. The adviser repeated the same training everyday until it got used to the newfood. Soon the king found out that his beloved cat had been stolen. He quickly suspected his adviserand found the cat at his home. He put the adviser into trial for stealing the cat. The adviser was howeververy clever. To prove the cat as his, he asked the king to bring two bowls, one with delicious and onewith rotten foods. The cat directly went to the bowl with rotten food. He then claimed the cat as his cat.The king however still had adviser arrested and imprisoned. This story then spread over the kingdomwhich inspired Annam people to protest their king.26. The text tells us about …. A. the Siamese cat B. the king of Annam C. the people of Annam D. the adviser of Annam’s King27. Who stole the Siames cat ? A. The king. B. The adviser. C. The people. D, The ruthless man.28. What can we learn from the story ? A. We should not be afraid of our ruler. B. We should train ourselves every day. C. We should not love animal excessively. D. We should remind someone reasonably
ATM An Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) is a machine permitting a bank customer to make cashwithdrawals at any time and without a human. ATM’s have a wide variety of names, such as : Automatic Teller Machine, Automated BankingMachine, Hole-in-the wall, Cash Dispenser, and some other names.ATM’s allow people to deposite cash or check, check their accounts balances, transfer money betweentheir bank accounts,and many others. In modern ATM’s customers authenticate themselves by using a plastic card with a magneticstripe. It encodes the customer’s account number . by entering a passcode called PIN (personalidentification number) ; a customer can make withdrawals. If the customers enter it incorrectly severaltime in row, most ATMs will retain the card as a security precaution. Most ATMs are connected to interbank networks. It enables the customers to withdraw in placewhere their bank has no branches. Besides, it is also possible to withdraw local currency in a foreigncountry. Many banks charge a fee for the use of their ATMs by non-depositors. Nowadays, many bankplace ATMs in grocery stores, shopping malls, and other locations.29. The text above tell us about ... . A. An Automatic Teller Machine ( ATM) B. modern ATM C. interbank network D. Personal Identification Number ( PIN)30. People use ATM because it is permitting the customers …. A. do transaction everywhere B. do not bring to much money C. can take money everywhere at anytime D. to make cash withdrawal at anytime and without a human31. “… a customer can make withdrawals.” The underlined word has similar meaning to…. A. Client B. Owner C. banker D. memberText for number 32 to 34Justin Drew Bieber, or Justin Bieber is a good singer and actor. Justin Bieber was born and raised inStratford, Ontario in Canada. His mother is Pattie Mallette and his father’s name is Jeremy. His parentsare not entertainers. Justin Beiber moved to Atlanta, Georgia to pursue his music career. Scooter Braunis his manager. As an artist, he is quite handsome with an oval face, long straight and blonde hair, a pointed nose,and he’s height is 5 feet and 6 inches and also has friendly smile. That’s why he has millions of fans allaround the world especially women from kids until adults. Even in Indonesia. In his world tour andconcert in many countries is always crowed and we can hear women screaming everywhere. His fansbuild a community to unite themselves called Belieber. He has a girlfriend, her name is Selena Gomez.She is a singer and actress too like him.
Justin Beiber has become a famous artist from posting by YouTube videos in 2007. And thesong that make him becomes well-known is “Baby”. His single “Baby” debuted at number 5 on theBillboard Hot 100 chart. Justin Beiber is a very talented artist, he can play musical instrument, plays the left – handedguitar, piano, percussion and drums. He hopes to learn the violin too. He just like other teenager, he liketo play video games, hockey, basketball and watch the TV show “Smallville”. Never Say Never is a 20113-D documentary/concert film of him.32. Justin Beiber moved to Atlanta, Georgiato…. A. play his musical instrument B. post his video in YouTube C. build his fans community D. pursue his music career33. “... make him becomes well-known is “ Baby”. ( Paragraph 3 ) The synonym of underlined word is . . . . A. fall B. down C. famous D. success34. “… to unite themselves called Belieber”. (paragraph 2) The underlined word refers to …. A. fans B. parent C. women D. girlfriendsRead the text below and answer questions number 35 to 37t was early in the morning we left Ubud and travelled to Gili Air which is one of three islands of Lombok.It took 4 hours in total by boat. The travelling was not bad but it was a hot day. I said to Jane on the slowboat " It`s alright babe, it won`t be so hot and stuffy once we get moving.” When we got to Gili Air it was still quite so we were able to get a bungalow near the beach forabout $ 15 a night plus breakfast. We shared our room with quite a number of geckos. Some of themwere quite large ones. The weather was still hot when I went diving. Jane waited for me at the seashore. She observedsome fishermen who had just caught some fish. She did not want to dive because she had a trauma withsea animals. We had three days here which we spent walking around the island which takes about anhour. Every night, we sat on the couches near the beach and watched the waves and the stars. It was a fantastic journey that I ever had.35. The text above tell us about . . . . A. the weather at Gili Air B. three islands of Lombok C. the writer‟s journey to Gili Air, Lombok D. fishermen who had caught fish
36. “It was a fantastic journey that I ever had.” (last paragraph) The underlined word is similar in meaning to … A. meaningful B.wonderful C.interesting D. amazing37. How did the writer end his/her story ? A. Happy B. Sad C. Angry D. Bore The text for number 38 to 40 A fish on dry land Chuang Tzu’s family was very poor. One day, he went to see a rich man to borrow some ricefrom him. The rich man said, “All right, I will lend you some rice. But please wait until my brother paysme back some money which he owes me. I shall then be able to give you three hundred pieces of silveras well.” Chuang Tzu kept quiet for a long time. He wanted to make the rich man realize his bad attitude. He then said to the rich man, “I want to tell you a story. As I was returning home yesterday, I saw a fish lying by the roadside. ‘Help! Help!’ it called out. ‘I cannot breathe. Please put me back in the sea’ “ “ ‘I am now on my way to visit a relative living near the Western Sea,’ I replied. ‘I shall send you some water from there,’ “ “That will be too late,’ the fish replied. ‘Unless you put me back in the water straight away, I shall die.’ “ “This, sir,” said Chuang Tzu to the rich man, “reminds me of your answer. If you want to help, you should do so now. Otherwise it will be too late.” The rich man lent him some rice without saying any more.38. From the story above we can conclude that the rich man was ... . A. stingy B. arrogant C. kind hearted D. faint hearted39. “...Unless you put me back in the water straight away, I shall die. “ (paragraph 4) The underlined phrase is similar in meaning to ... A. soon B. fast C. early D. late
40. What is the moral value of the story above ? A. If you want to help someone, you should do soon B. We must put fish back in the sea C. Lent poor people some rice without saying any more D. Give the poor man pieces of silverText for number 41 to 43 A hurricane is an intense, rotating oceanic weather system that has maximumcontinued winds exceeding 119 km/hr (74 mph). It forms and intensifies over tropical oceanicregions.Hurricanes are generally smaller than storms in mid-latitudes, typically about 500 km (311 miles) indiameter. At the ocean’s surface, the air spirals inward in a counterclockwise direction. This cycloniccirculation becomes weaker with height, eventually turning into clockwise (anticyclonic) outflow nearthe top of the storm.When a hurricane hits land, it can do great damage through its strong winds, heavyrains, inland flooding, and huge waves. A powerful hurricane can kill more people and destroy moreproperty than any other natural disaster. Hurricanes are categorized according to the strength of their winds. It is measured byusing the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale. A Category 1 storm has the lowest wind speeds, whilea Category 5 hurricane has the strongest. These are relative terms, because lower categorystorms can sometimes cause greater damage than higher category storms, depending on wherethey strike and the particular dangers they bring. In fact, tropical storms can also producesignificant damage and loss of life, mainly due to flooding.41. What does the text mainly discuss? A. The dangerous waves B. The power of the winds C. The description of hurricane D. The condition in oceanic region42. A hurricane can bring great damage when it strikes the land because… . A. It influences the temperature of water in the sea. B. It is the most dangerous disaster coming from the sea. C. It always moves from the oceanic surface to the land rapidly. D. It has strong winds, heavy rains, dangerous flooding and huge waves.43. “….hits land, it can do great damage through its strong winds, … “ (paragraph 2) What does the word “it” in the sentence refer to? A. Hurricane. B. Wind. C. Storm. D. Land
The text for number 44 to 46A tree is a woody plant with one main steam called a trunk.Branches grow from this trunk. The . . .(44) allows the plant to support itselfand to grow thicker and taller than other plants.Like all green plants, a tree makes its own food. Each leaf on tree is a busy factory. All day long it . . . ( 45) carbon dioxide from the air, water and mineral from the soil. All day long its . . . ( 46 ) coloring matercalled chlorophyll, absorb energy from the sun. Powered by the sunshine, the chlorophyll changes thecarbon dioxide and water into sugar. The sugar mad in the leaves is the tree’s basic food.Roots anchor a tree in the ground, holding it firmly in place so that it doesn’t topple over when thestorm winds blow. Trees often have a long main root or taproot may grow a dozen feet under theground while its branches spread out in every directions44. A. tree B. plant C. trunk D. leaf45. A. makes B. takes C. hits D. calls 46. A. red B. blue C. brown D. green 47. Arrange the jumbled words below into good sentence of the youth – contest – congratulations – your – on – success – the winner – as 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 A. 3 – 5 – 4 – 6 – 8 – 7 – 1 – 2 B. 3 – 5 – 6 – 1 – 2 – 8 – 4 – 7 C. 3 – 5 – 4 – 1 - 2 – 8 – 7 - 6 D. 3 – 5 – 8 – 6 – 7 – 1 – 2 – 4 48. Arrange the jumbled words into a good sentence a background – on – firstly – paper – a sheet – draw – white – it – take – and – picture 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 A. 3 – 9 – 5 – 1 – 4 – 6 – 10 – 11 – 2 – 7 – 8 B. 3 – 9 – 5 – 7 – 4 – 10 – 6 – 1 - 11 – 2 – 8 C. 3 – 9 – 5 - 10 – 7 – 6 – 8 – 11 – 2 – 4 – 1 D. 3 – 9 – 5 – 10 – 6 – 11 – 2 – 4 – 1 – 7 - 8
49. .Arrange the sentences to make a good paragraph! 1. They went there by car. 2. Suddenly it rained heavily. 3. It is her worst experience during holiday. 4. She went with her mum, dad, and her brother. 5. So they ran to find a shelter to escape from the rain. 6. As it rained for two hours, they could not do anything. 7. Last semester Maria spent her holiday on the Botanical Garden in Bogor. A. 7–1–4–5–3–6-2 B. 7–4–1–2–5–6-3 C. 7–6–2–3–5–4-1 D. 7–4–6–2–5–3-650. Choose the best arrangement of the sentences below to make a good paragraph 1. Add water again, the cold one, and stir 2. Then, stir well until the crystals dissolve 3. First empty contents of a packet of jelly crystals into a jug 4. And finally, refrigerate until firm 5. Add boiling water 6. Next pour the mixture into a bowl A. 4-5-2-6-1-3 B. 4-5-2-1-6-3 C. 3-5-2-6-1-4 D. 3-5-2-1-6-4
SOAL TRY OUT 1 UJIAN NASIONALTAHUN PELAJARAN 2012 / 2013 UTAMA SMP / MTs MATA PELAJARAN BAHASA INGGRIS