2. A recount is a piece of writing that tellsevents in chronological sequence. It’s similarto narrative text. The order of the event isvery important
3. Communicative purpose:to retell about pastexperience in chronologicalorder. Examples of recount text: incident reports, newspaper reports, police reports, articles, letters, journals, historical accounts, diary
4. TEXT ORGANIZATION Events• The characters • Writer’s• Set the scene • Tell what comment about (when, and happened in his/her where) Chronological experiences order Re-orientation ORIENTATION (optional)
5. Language FeaturesNounsPronounsPast tenseTime conjunctionAdverbial phrasesAdjective
6. Example 1 (historical accounts) In December 1984, there was an explosion at the Union Carbideorientation factory in Bhopal, India. The disaster that followed by the accident shocked the whole world. It was the worst industrial accident in the world. Most of the 750.000 people living in Bhopal were asleep when the accident occurred. Many of them never woke up. A thick cloud of gas spread over the whole city. The chemical gas affected the breathing of the people and about 3500 people died, but more than 50.000 people were seriously injured. Many of them suffered from lung injury which would make them suffer for the rest of their lives. Others suffered from injury to their eyes, some even lost their eyesight. Most of the causatives were children and elderly people. For thousands of people in Bhopal. That night was like any other night. But a little after midnight, the poisonous gas slowly leaked into the atmosphere. Hundreds of people woke up from their sleep coughing and vomiting. Others woke up with watering eyes and some were temporarily blinded. Many people tried to escape the poisonous clouds by getting out of town. They tried to get any kind of vehicle to get out of the town to save their lives. Hundreds of poor people tried to flee the town on foot but many of them dropped on the way. (taken from Kisi-Kisi 1001)
7. Example 2 (personal experiences)orientation When we flew on Miami, Mum came to see us off at the airport. We checked in at 3 o’clock in the morning, but for some reasons we had to hang around for hours in the airport building. I though the plane had broken down. It was really boring. We tried to get a drink from the machine, but it had run out, so we had to wait without any drink until the café opened at 8. the waiters finally let us in for breakfast at 8.25! We refused the food because we were so angry with the service. Finally the waiter called for someone from the airline who listened to our story, apologized and paid for our meals.