1. Director , Enterprise Mobility
BYOD for your business with WSO2 Enterprise Mobility
09 April 2014
About the Presenter
Shan specializes in mobile technology with over 16 years
experience in that field.
He has a strong background in telecommunication
software development and is a hardcore coder in Android
and iOS platforms.
Prior to joining WSO2Mobile, he was working as the CTO/
Director of Microimage Mobile Media for almost 16 years.
He played a key role in engineering products where
Microimage has won many local & international awards
which includes winning the Inaugural GSMA Asia Mobile
Innovation Award, Commendation from GSMA at the
Barcelona World Awards in 2007, Asia Pacific ICT Awards
(APICTA), National Science & Technology Awards (Sri
๏ Global enterprise, founded in 2005 by
acknowledged leaders in XML, web services
technologies, standards and open source
๏ Provides only open source platform-as-a-
service for private, public and hybrid cloud
๏ All WSO2 products are 100% open source and
released under the Apache License Version 2.0.
๏ Is an Active Member of OASIS, Cloud Security
Alliance, OSGi Alliance, AMQP Working Group,
OpenID Foundation and W3C.
๏ Driven by Innovation
๏ Launched first open source API
Management solution in 2012
๏ Launched App Factory in 2Q 2013
๏ Launched Enterprise Store and first
open source Mobile solution in 4Q 2013
What WSO2 delivers
1. Your Business
2. Extending you business
3. Allow Mobility in your Business
4. BYOD Benefits
5. Risks & Challenge
6. Tool to solve the challenge
7. WSO2 EMM for your BYOD business
6. Your Business
Few years back
• Happens inside a place
• Dependent on specific Technology
Within the premise
Owned by enterprise
• Independent of place
• Independent of Technology
Within the premise and outside
Owned by enterprise and employees
Your Business Now
10. Enterprise Mobility ?
Employees working out of the office with Mobile devices and cloud services to perform business tasks.
12. Enterprise Mobility is to employees
of the enterprise
Extended Enterprise is to business
partners, distributors etc
1.Whether to allow mobility in your business ?
2.Allow Employees to use their device in Enterprise Mobility ?
3.Allow business partners,distributors to use their device in Enterprise Mobility ?
AndroidiOS Windows 8Blackberry
1 2 3
Company Owned, Personally Enabled Bring your own device
1.Data Security (Most Important)
2.Remote Device Management
4.Enterprise Application Development & Management
19. Benefit always outweighs the risks
20. How the data can be compromised ?
Device being lost or stolen
Malicious App stealing the data
What is the data ?
Email message or the attachment
Documents like pdf,word,excel,ppt,text
Browser accessing HTML pages,cookies
Application with Database
Why the data is sensitive ?
It can be highly confidential
like quotation value, salary details
It can have a high impact if it goes to
the wrong person
Who can compromise ?
21. EMM Tools
22. Mobile Device Management (MDM)
Enforce Password Policy
Encrypt Device Data
Remote Device Management
Monitor Device (location,battery)
Control Device (Enable/Disable Camera)
Update OS, Install & Uninstall App
No granular control of the sensitive data
Remote Device Management
Apps from Public Store
Apps in the Device
Data Security - Approach 2 - Separate Apps and Data
Within Device Away from Device
1. Desktop Virtualization
2. Web Apps
1. Mobile Virtualization
25. Dual persona, two separate and independent end user environments in a single device.
Virtualized OS’s on mobile (Hypervisor 1 and 2)
26. Dual Persona
Blackberry Z10Samsung Note 3
27. MAM gets you a step closer to managing what you care about
MAM brings the perimeter closer to the corporate resources
Mobile App Management
28. Mobile App Management (MAM)
1. MAM (Controlling App behavior)
1a. SDK Approach
1b. App wrapping
2. OS MAM - iOS MAM through MDM
3. App Store and Managing apps with MDM
29. Data security features
1. Encrypt the data at transmit use app VPN tunnel or app tunnel
2. Encrypt the data at rest & decrypt only when viewing
3. Two factor authentication
4. Data Loss prevention (Disable Cut,Copy and Paste)
5. Data at rest should be controlled (Delete)
6. Policy based Data control , where policy can be pushed and updated
1. Enterprise Apps in the mobile should be able to use SSO
2. Data can be shared between application
3. DLP (cut,copy,paste) should be enabled between enterprise applications
MAM controlling apps behavior
30. Techniques for Creating Apps That Work With MAM
• Use a MAM SDK
• App wrapping
31. MAM SDK Approach
SDK contains all the necessary API to implement the MAM features
Provides enterprise-grade security with user authentication, single sign on, copy/
paste prevention, data encryption, app-level policies, compliance monitoring and
32. App Wrapping
• For apps already built
• Need unsigned app binary.
• Not to apps from public app stores.
• Can do basics of encryption, authentication, or app-level VPNs.
• Can intercept, block, or spoof API calls made
• Can change the app icon
App Wrapper Tool
33. WSO2 Enterprise Mobility Manager
How it can solve the challenge
34. WSO2 EMM Features
• Enterprise Store with
• Mobile App Management
• Open Source
• Built on top of award winning Carbon platform
• Integrates with WSO2 Identity Server for robust authentication and
• Integrates with WSO2’s big data analytics framework, including WSO2 Complex
Event Processor (WSO2 CEP) for real-time analysis and WSO2 Business
Activity Monitor (BAM) for batch analysis.
• Multi-tenant and cloud-ready; same software can be deployed directly on
servers or in the cloud.
• Highly performant, available, stable, and scalable
• Lightweight and easy to deploy
• Unified Store (Mobile Apps,Widgets,Gadgets,Books,Magazines,API’s etc)
WSO2 EMM allows your business to embrace BYOD
without compromising End-User Experience and
48. Consumerization is a two-way street.
You need to make sure your users understand
the need to keep resources safe, but you also
need to make corporate resources accessible.