• Started in 2005
• Re-build the entire middleware stack with a services
• Started with 3 products on roadmap
• By 2008 shipping 4 products
– App Server, ESB, Mashup Server and Governance Registry
• Break up into pieces and rebuild
– Carbon is born
– Component framework to build a family of servers
– “Eclipse for servers”
• Built for “cloud” from beginning
After just 8 years ..
• Only company ever to have built a complete
middleware stack from scratch
– We’re not done and never will be .. Everything is changing
all the time!
• And, offer a choice of deployment from on-premise
to private cloud to public cloud
– Develop once, deploy everywhere
Re-invent everything, not just technology
(But not finance and legal )
• Is not only about R&D
– Only 50% of time spent in R&D
• Rest of it
Consulting & services
• Every engineer has to do all of this!
• Is not just a software development & distribution
model for us, its how we do everything
• And yes, ALL of our software is 100% open source
under Apache license
Why become a connected business?
• Centrally managed, controlled execution no longer
sufficient to compete
• Decompose your business and recompose on-demand in
an agile, market-driven way
• Customers will demand transparency and visibility into
your IT systems
Not just about the external connectivity
• Internally connected means you can integrate deeper
into your customers
– Something that’s fast becoming a differentiator in your
ability to sell
• Greater the decomposition, the greater the ability to
focus on your core competencies and outsource
Can legacy middleware get you there?
• Traditional middleware product boundaries defined
by niche market needs with humans bridging
• Today’s market need is for no-excuses, noexplanations integrated execution
– Market leaders will be defined by those that can move
• Technology convergence is needed to help
enterprises become connected businesses
WSO2 middleware as a connected business
• Carbon components are our ingredients
– Orthogonal basis for middleware
• We can produce anything in no time
– API Manager 1.0 (done in 6 months by 4 engineers)
recognized as market leader by Forrester (January 2013)
• Incredible efficiency
– 20+ products by 175 engineers
WSO2 is ..
The only company to have built
a complete middleware stack
designed to facilitate
building a componentized, composable enterprise!
How to become a connected business?
Decompose and expose your legacy as APIs
Setup a self-service IT environment
Establish a store to foster Darwinian IT innovation
Monitor & control
Learn more today & tomorrow – from us and our customers!
Connected business & cloud
• Cloud enables you to increase agility
– Self-service, elastic, pay-as-you-go
• SaaS and APIs enable easier outsourcing of non-core
• Your secret sauce becomes your composition formula
- your processes
WSO2 cloud strategy
• Develop once, deploy everywhere
– Private cloud
– Public cloud
• Help customers innovate their connected businesses
using any deployment model
WSO2 is ..
The only company to have
the same software available everywhere:
On premise, private cloud & public cloud.
Our cloud products
• Apache Stratos (Incubating)
– Formerly WSO2 Stratos
– PaaS framework to provide self-service, elastic, multitenant, metered & billed execution capability for any
– Competing with CloudFoundry and OpenShift
• Except much, much better!
• And truly open source in fantastic community!
WSO2 Private PaaS
• Apache Stratos (Incubating) with WSO2 Carbon
– Entire middleware stack with true multi-tenancy in PaaS
WSO2 App Factory
• End-to-end application development from cradle-tograve, all in the browser
• Powered by multiple WSO2 Private PaaS
• Integrated to Codenvy for in-browser code editing
WSO2 Public Cloud
• History: WSO2 StratosLive
– Started in 2010
– Comprehensive PaaS
• Offering all our middleware as a service
– Market was not ready
• And we didn’t market enough
• WSO2 StratosLive will be retired as WSO2 Public
Cloud comes up
WSO2 Public Cloud
• Collection of separate but integrated clouds targeting
different problem spaces / customer needs
– App Cloud – application platform as a service
– Integration Cloud – integration platform as a service
– API cloud – API management as a service
• Future: mobile cloud, data cloud, ..
Cloudpreview.wso2.com is live!
• Pre-alpha code .. Please be gentle
• Going commercial in Q1 2014
Our cloud vision
• Enable you to maximize flexibility by providing most
cost effective, productive deployment environment
for your apps and more
• We are here for the long term
– Its going to take a few more years to become the #1
middleware company in the world
• We will never settle
– Technology is moving all the time – our job is to provide a
framework for you to be successful
• Thank you for making it possible!
There is only one thing that makes a dream
impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.
Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist