What this lecture is about: an overview of the new features in SharePoint, not an overview of the SharePoint product in general. Not enough time for that.
Who in the room is using SharePoint? What version are you using?
These are the topics we’re going to be covering today.
1. What’s New in
Great Lakes Software Excellence
Owner, Savvy Technical Solutions
SharePoint MVP, MCT, MCITP, MCPD
2. A Little About Me
• Originally from Durham, NC. Graduated from Calvin in
1999, live in St. Louis now
• Married since 2007, Lilly turning 2 next week, one on
the way in July
• Own my own SharePoint consulting company, Savvy
• Microsoft SharePoint MVP 4 years
• Microsoft Certified Trainer
• Have helped author several MS SharePoint exams
• Co-authored Wrox SharePoint Six-in-One
• Blog: http://blog.beckybertram.com
• Twitter: @beckybertram
3. A Brief History of SharePoint
• Windows SharePoint Services 2.0, SharePoint
Server 2003 and SharePoint Team Services
• Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (WSS) and
Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
• SharePoint Foundation 2010 (SPF) and
SharePoint Server 2010
• SharePoint Foundation 2013 and SharePoint
• SharePoint Online/Office 365
4. Upgraded Functionality
Covered in Today’s Session
• List and Library Enhancements
• Web Content Management
• SharePoint Apps
• Facebook-like ability to “follow” people
(and also lists or documents) or “like”
• Twitter-like “micro-feed” functionality
and ability to mention someone, create
and follow hashtags.
• List of all your activities
• Mobile apps for following activity feed.
• Stand-alone product recently acquired by
• Right now it’s a separate service that can
integrate with SharePoint
• No clear direction yet from MS as to how
it will replace existing Social features in
8. Yammer Features
• Facebook-like features of leaving
messages that can be replied to,
following people, etc.
• Twitter-like ability to tag items.
• Ability to create mini workspaces, upload
• Can use web site, desktop app, mobile
9. Community Sites
• Group site
• Discussion threads
• Searching within the site
• Achievement Rating System
• Community Portal lists all Community
• Ability to share documents and sites with
• Use of SkyDrive Pro
11. Lists and Libraries
12. New Features
• Drag and drop documents into a library
• Synch a library or document to your hard
• Save files directly to SharePoint site from
• Quick Edit view allows you to quickly add
columns to a list.
13. Lightweight Project
• New Project Site template
• Synch tasks to Outlook. Outlook tasks
will also show up in Tasks under
14. Web Content
15. Design Manager
• Step by step guidance for customizing
the look and feel of your site.
• Use out of the box styles or upload your own
• New concept of “Display Templates”,
which are combinations of HTML and
• Device channels can be used to apply
different master pages to different
16. Other New WCM Features
• Content Search web part
• Product catalog and cross-site publishing
• Managed metadata navigation
• Friendly URLs
17. Enhanced Search Engine
• Ability to specify exclusion paths for the
sitemap file that internet search engines
• Ability to add tracking metadata tags to
• Ability to filter link parameters to help
SEO results for a page.
• Ability to add SEO properties for pages.
18. Image Renditions
• Ability to have SharePoint create
standard sizes of uploaded images.
• Ability to specify which image rendition
should be used in a page.
• Utilizes “BLOB caching” which means
these images are cached on the server
and will be served up quickly to site
19. SharePoint Apps
20. App Store and Storage
• Public marketplace
• Private marketplace
• Can be hosted remotely
21. Other New Features
• Improved E-Discovery functionality
• Ability to crawl Exchange
• Ability to lock records at a point in time but
not prevent them from being further edited
• Video in search results
• Video can from external sites like YouTube
can be displayed in an IFrame
• What’s New in Microsoft SharePoint
• What is SkyDrive Pro?