1. How to use OverDrive with your Amazon Kindle -Walkthrough- John Robertson Warren Public Library Warren, MI March 2012
2. Using OverDrive – Amazon Kindle• No special software needed. Most eBooks are delivered wirelessly via Wi-Fi to your device. – If no wireless connection is available, eBooks can be downloaded to a computer and transferred via USB to your Kindle – Kindle format eBooks from Penguin Publishing Group can only be transferred via USB to registered Kindle devices.• Must have Amazon.com account – Kindle or Kindle app must be registered with Amazon
3. Using OverDrive: Amazon Kindle• Go to OverDrive site (http://ebooks.mcls.org)
4. Click Log In.
5. Select Warren Public Library from the Library drop-down menu.Type in your Library card number.
6. Click Login.
7. You will be taken to the My Digital Account screen. Click Home.
8. Use the Digital Media Search box to search for items you can check out. You can search by title or creator (author). For more search options, click Advanced Search.
9. Before checking out or placing a Kindle Book on hold, note the differences between these two Kindle Books: The Ideal Man can not be transferred via WiFi. It must be transferred via USB, andcan only be transferred to anactual Kindle device, not to a device using a Kindle app. Good Girls Don’t can be transferred via WiFi,downloaded and transferredvia USB, and can be used bydevices with the Kindle app.
10. If an item is not currently available to be checked out, it will have a “Placea Hold” button next to it. Click “Place a Hold” to put a hold on that item. Remember, click the “Place a Hold” button next to the item type that is used by your eReader. Kindles only use Kindle Books.
11. From the My Digital Holds screen, enter your emailaddress and click “Place a Hold”. You will receive an emailwhen your hold is available.You will have 72 hours from when the email is sent to check out your hold.
12. When you find an eBook that is available for checkout, it will have an “Available – Add toBookbag” button next to it. Click “Available – Add toBookbag ” to checkout and download the item.Remember, click “Available –Add to Bookbag” next to the item type that is used by your eReader. Kindles use Kindle Books.
13. Click Proceed to Checkout.
14. You can change the lending period for your eBook to either 14 or 7 days. This keeps tracks of how many checkouts you currently have and how many you have remaining. You can have up to 10 OverDrive items out at a time.To finalize checkout, click Confirm Check Out.
15. Click Get for Kindle.
16. The Amazon.comhome page will open in a newtab or window. Click GetLibrary Book.
17. If not already logged in to Amazon.com, you will need to log in.Enter your email address and Amazon.com password and click Sign in.
18. Select the registered Kindle or device with Kindle app that you wish to send the Kindle book to from the drop-down menu. Click Continue.
19. Your eBook will be delivered wireless via Wi-Fi the next time your Kindle syncs. If you need to resend the eBook to your Kindle, click Mange Your Kindle.
20. The Manage Your Kindle Screen lists books that you have purchased and/or checked out for your Kindle. Click Actions next to a title for additional options.
21. To resend your Kindle Book, click Deliver to my… To return your Kindle Bookearly, click Return this book.