With Geography you know WHERE you are!
• Where places are in the world
• What it is like at these places
• How and why places are changing
Geography is about the REAL world.
Geography helps you understand our PHYSICAL world e.g.
• Rivers and coasts
• Glacial landscapes
• Earthquakes and volcanoes
• Weather and climate
• Natural regions e.g. deserts
Geography also helps you to understand HUMAN activities in
our world e.g.
• Land uses
• Industry and energy
• Development and trade
• Lifestyles in other countries
Geography deals with ISSUES in the world that affect you e.g.
• Pollution and conservation
• Climate change
• Over-population and resources
• Third World problems
Geography helps you to develop useful PRACTICAL skills e.g.
• Reading and using maps
• Doing fieldwork to collect data
• Using simple instruments
SKILLS learned in Geography are also transferable to other
• Using different types of data
• Processing data into maps and diagrams
• Researching and writing reports
• Using IT in a geographical context
• Discussing and evaluating problems
Geography is linked to a wide range of JOB opportunities e.g.
• Agriculture, horticulture and forestry
• Armed services
• Business and commerce
• Civil service and civil aviation
• Environmental health
• Estate agency
• Landscape architecture
Other CAREERS linked to Geography include:
• Leisure and recreation industry
• Local government
• Nature conservancy
• Selling and marketing
• Town and country planning
• Transport and communications
• Travel agency and tourism
Geography can be COMBINED with other subjects, leading to a
particular career e.g.
• Art and CDT/Design technology for architecture
• Biology for agriculture
• History for publishing
• Languages for business
• Mathematics for meteorology
• Physics for civil engineering
Geography is welcomed as a subject in further education.
It draws upon ideas from science and the arts.
It can be studied at university:
• As a science subject
• As an arts subject
Geography offers FLEXIBLE choices
So if you want to be ready to play an active part in our