Developing inland aquaculture in Solomon Islands
- 1,431 views
Developing inland aquaculture in Solomon Islands - Presented by Dr. Mike Phillips at the Farmers Workshop, Malaita, Solomon Islands, on the 22nd of April, 2013. ...
Developing inland aquaculture in Solomon Islands - Presented by Dr. Mike Phillips at the Farmers Workshop, Malaita, Solomon Islands, on the 22nd of April, 2013.
Developing Inland Aquaculture in the Solomon Islands is a four-year project funded by the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR). The aim of this large project is to identify the best ways for the Solomon Islands Government to carry out an inland aquaculture programme which will contribute to the nation’s food and nutritional security. To do this, the project will address a number of questions:
- Which species, farming systems and production models can best improve existing household aquaculture systems and develop new systems?
- How can delivery of fish feed and fish seed and essential services such as extension and finance be efficiently and sustainably provided?
- How can aquaculture be developed to optimize food and nutritional benefits for those most in need?
- What ecological risks are associated with the growth of aquaculture and how can these be managed and minimized?
- What systems of communication and partnership will most effectively help broadcast the research findings; both within Solomon Islands and to other PICTs facing similar future food-security scenarios?
- Total Views
- Views on SlideShare
- Embed Views