Preliminary ActivityInstruction: Choose the best answer among the options that describe the statement in each item.___1. In 1987 Constitution, Article XIV is entitled as _____. A. Education, Science and Technology, Arts, Culture and Sports B. Education, Culture and Sports C. Education, Science and Technology, Culture and Arts
2. The key effectiveness of teaching – learning process is ____________.a. Studentsb. Teachersc. Curriculum3. Teachers Professionalization Act of 1994 is R.A. ______.a. 7836b. 7683c. 7368
4. DECS was transformed on 1987 through Executive No. ______.a. 117b. 171c. 7115. In August 2001,_______, otherwise known as the Government Basic Education was passed transforming the name of DECS to the Department of Education.a. R.A No. 9293 c. E.O. No. 232b. R.A. No.9155 d. P.D. No. 223
Dir. Joaquin G. Atayza
Section 5 Article XIV – Education,Science and Technology, Arts, Culture and Sports• Section 5. (1.) The State shall take into account regional and sectoral needs and conditions and shall encourage local planning in the development of educational policies and programs. (2.) Academic freedom shall be enjoyed in all institutions of higher learning.
(3.) Every citizen has right to select profession or course of study, subject to fair, reasonable, and equitable admission and academic requirements(4.) The State shall enhance the right of teachers to professional advancement. Non – teaching academic and non – academical personnel shall enjoy the protection of the State.
(5.) The State shall assign the highest budgetary priority to education and ensure the teaching will attract and retain its rightful share of the best talents through adequate remuneration and other means of job satisfaction and fulfilment.
Republic Act No. 7784• AN ACT TO STRENGTHEN TEACHER EDUCATION IN THE PHILIPPINES BY ESTABLISHING CENTERS OF EXCELLENCE, CREATING A TEACHER EDUCATION COUNCIL FOR THE PURPOSE, APPROPRIATING FUNDS THEREFORE, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES.
• "Center of excellence" shall be a public or private college, institute, school or agency, engaged in the pre-service and continuing education, formal and non-formal, of teachers and top-notch educators, that has established and continues to maintain a good record in teacher education (in terms of number of graduates and their performance in the government examination for teachers and their professional achievement), research, and community service; whose graduates are models of integrity, commitment and dedication in education. The centers of excellence may exist by themselves or within a university or college.
• The criteria for identifying schools and colleges as centers of excellence shall include the following:• (a) highly educated, professionally qualified and experienced faculty dedicated to the Philosophy, mission, vision and goals of the institution and education;• (b) well-settled students;• (c) adequate library, research and study facilities;• (d) competent administrative and support staff;• (e) well-planned and relevant instructional programs;• (f) adequate student development programs;• (g) adequate student services;• (h) relevant extension service and outreach
Teachers Professionalization Act of 1994 (R.A. 7836)• Known as Philippine Teachers Professionalization Act of 1994 that declared the policy recognizing the vital role of teachers in nation building.• The Act created the Board for Professional Teachers, a collegial body under the general supervision and administrative control of the PRC.
Article III, Section 19, R.A. 7836• Section 19. Periodic Merit Examination of Teachers – To encourage continuing professional growth and development and to provide additional basis for merit promotion in addition to their performance rating, teachers may take an oral and written examination at least once in five years as basis for merit promotion. In taking this examination, no fee shall be required.
Presidential Decree No. 223• CREATING THE PROFESSIONAL REGULATION COMMISSION AND PRESCRIBING ITS POWERS AND FUNCTIONS
Section 5. Powers of the Commission. Thepowers of the Commission are as follows:a) To administer, implement and enforce the regulatory policies of the National Government with respect to the regulation and licensing of the various professions and occupations under its jurisdiction including the maintenance of professional and occupational standards and ethics and the enforcement of the rules and regulations relative thereto.
Presidential Decree No. 1006It was promulgated on January 1997 entitled Providing for the Professionalization of Teachers, Regulating their Practice in the Philippines or the Decree of Professionalizing the Teaching.
• Declared a policy that teacher education be of the highest quality, and strongly to Philippine conditions and to the needs and aspirations of the Filipino people.
Department of Education, Culture, and Sports• Transformed on 1987 by virtue of Executive Order No. 117 on January 30, 1987 and last until 2001.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION• In August 2001, Republic Act 9155, otherwise known as the Government Basic Education was passed transforming the name of DECS to the Department of Education.• Provides the overall framework (1) school head empowerment by strengthening their leadership roles and (2) school based management within the context of transparency and local accountability.