• The Prime Minister has today announced that the public
and others will have greater access to a range Ordnance
Survey data from next year, as part of a Government drive
to open up data to improve efficiency and transparency.
• The detail of this is still being worked through and a formal
consultation period will begin in December to look at how these
changes will be implemented. Ordnance Survey is committed to
working with colleagues across government on developing
these proposals. In the meantime we are focused on continuing
to collect and maintain the most accurate mapping data of Great
Britain as well as delivering an excellent service to our
customers and partners.
• Data relating to electoral and local authority boundaries as well
as postcode areas would be released for free re-use, including
commercially. Mid-scale digital mapping information would also
be released in the same way.
The highest-specification Ordnance Survey products and
services – such as those used by property developers or the
utility companies – would be charged for on a cost-reflective
New and enhanced version
• May 2009
• Version 0.8 includes
• Increase to the tile limit
• Postcode lookups
• New boundary data
• Wider use rights
• Some advertising &
sponsorship now allowed
OS OpenSpace – core terms & conditions
• Charities, non-profit making organisations, volunteer led groups, other
social and community groups, entrepreneurs and commercial
organisations may all use OS OpenSpace.
• Web based applications with a wide range of functionality may be
created using OS OpenSpace. Not internal administration of a
business. They must be publicly accessible.
• Advertising on OS OpenSpace web applications is permitted. No
charge can be made for access to, or use of, applications.
• OS OpenSpace applications may access Ordnance Survey data until
defined daily Usage Limits are reached. i.e. 40 000 map tiles. 1000
look-ups for each of gazetteer, postcode and boundaries.
• OS OpenSpace applications must not permit Ordnance Survey data to
be downloaded, stored or archived. Automatic, immediate and
temporary storing (caching) is permitted, however.
• OS Street View
• 1:50 000 Scale Colour Raster
• 1:250 000 Scale Colour Raster
• Mini Scale (1:1 000 000)
• Overview of Great Britain
• Outline of Great Britain
• 1:50 000 Scale Gazetteer
• Postcode lookup
• Built on OpenLayers
• Double Click Zoom
• Keyboard controls
• Zoom Box
• Added OS OpenSpace specific features
• OS OpenSpace MapPoint
• BNG support
• Simple Marker Coding