• No lead capture mechanism
(don’t laugh - it’s the most
• No incentive or value
• Asking for too much
• Nothing to buy (don’t laugh - see #1
problem in lead acquisition)
• Forget to tell leads what to do next.
Be VERY direct.
• Path to first Aha! is to complex or
takes too long. Develop for instant Wow.
• Most Products Suck (especially at first)
• You’re not talking to users - ALL the time
• Product is missing viral loops - features
that generate referral sign-ups
• Product is missing features that drive up
DAU/MAU (Daily Active Users/Monthly
Active Users) ratio
• Retention rate
• Survey (do you deliver an Aha! moment?)
IS YOUR PRODUCT
WORKING, FOR GROWTH?
• Customer development...before the build
• Follow a leader to learn. Build something
that already works, with a distinct
• Let customer data inform your product and
TALK TO USERS...
ALL THE TIME
• Beta test
• Loyalty groups
• Social media
Users gain value by pulling others into the
Linkedin - closer to access
Dropbox - more storage space
Farmville - faster rewards
VIRAL LOOP STRATEGIES
Margin Viral Loop - User gives something to a
friend that only cost the company a fraction of it’s
face value. (e.g., Dropbox)
Savings Viral Loop - User and friend both get a
coupon. Only a fraction redeem - % breakage rate.
Goal Viral Loop - User has a goal (friends
participate together, a social cause) encouraging
them to share. (e.g., Living Social, $1 goes to...)
Product - MVP is good enough - maybe too much
Traffic - Tap into existing distribution networks
Customer - Always Be Talking to Users
Viral Loops - Build it into the product
Talk More About