• Research other sites for your niche
• Research other sites for niches like your
• List features, note language, pay attention to
• Don’t take them as the gold standard
User Needs Analysis
• Start open-ended and wide
• Probe for emotions, language
• Discover needs, goals
• Probe for limitations, environment
• Don’t limit choices
• You want to ﬁnd out who they are and what
• Keep the list under 10 questions
• Between 5 and 10 minutes to complete
• Use yes/no questions and open ended
• Choose people to represent your user
• Decide what you want to learn.
• Write up a protocol and question list.
• Ask questions in a neutral manner. Take good
• Go to where the users work or play.
• Watch them closely.
• Combine this with a regular interview for