THE POLITICAL SPECTRUM WHERE DO YOU FALL? How do you want your country to run?
What are you? Politically Speaking Put a “Y” if you agree with the statement or an “N” if you disagree with the statement
1. The tax rate should be the same for all people, no matter their wage.
2. Businesses should be about making profit rather than serving humanity.
3. I'd always support my country, whether it was right or wrong. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
4. Military action is necessary at times to protect a society’s interests.
5. Corporations can be trusted to protect the environment and do not need the government to make them protect the environment.
The rich are too highly taxed.
Those with more money should have the right to higher standards of medical care .
Abortion, when the woman's life is not threatened, should always be illegal.
Homosexual people should not be allowed to marry.
10. All authority should be questioned.
11. Good parents sometimes have to spank their children.
12. Marijuana should not be legalized
The main purpose of schooling is to help kids find jobs.
Those who are able to work, and don’t should not expect society's support.
15. What's good for the most successful company is always, ultimately, good for all of us.
16. The death penalty should be an option for the most serious crimes.
17. The businessperson and the manufacturer are more important to society than the writer and the artist.
18. In criminal justice, punishment should be more important than rehabilitation.
19. It is important that my school teaches religious values
20. Helping the poor is best left to charities and should not be a function of the government.
TOTAL YES OUT OF 20 ___
What is the political spectrum?
The political spectrum defines what you believe about your society and what role your government should play in running the country. There are two main ends:
LEFT WING_________________________RIGHT WING
(Liberal) (center) (conservative)
Someone who is left wing is also called a liberal .
SOCIALLY they believe—people should be able to do pretty much whatever they want (if it does not hurt anyone), such as allowing for gay marriages, allowing for abortions, legalizing marijuana, but definitely no death penalty!
ECONOMICALLY LEFT WING
ECONOMICALLY they believe there should be high taxes and strong environmental laws.
People who are liberal believe that businesses should not be allowed to damage the environment in order to make more money.
POLITICALLY LEFT WING
POLITICALLY they believe the government should be strong and heavily involved, paying for health care, education, welfare
EXAMPLES of left wing countries---NETHERLANDS, HOLLAND, CANADA, AUSTRALIA, FINLAND
Someone who is right wing is also called a conservative .
SOCIALLY they believe—people should NOT be able to do whatever they want, such as NOT allowing for gay marriages, NOT allowing for abortions, NOT legalizing marijuana, but definitely yes to the death penalty! (Religious people tend to be conservative).
ECONOMICALLY RIGHT WING
ECONOMICALLY they believe there should be LOW taxes and some environmental laws.
Conservatives believe that if a society is going to be successful and wealthy, some damage of the environment might be necessary.
POLITICALLY RIGHT WING
POLITICALLY they believe the government should NOT be strong and NOT heavily involved, NOT paying for health care, allowing for private education, little welfare.
EXAMPLES of right wing countries---USA, PHILIPPINES, MEXICO
WHAT ARE YOU? Some basic beliefs on each side:
IF YOU AGREE WITH THESE THEN YOU ARE LEFT WING:
Abortion legal (woman’s choice)
Decriminalize marijuana use
High taxes 5. Strict environmental laws
6. Strong controls on businesses 7. Much government control
IF YOU AGREE WITH THESE THEN YOU ARE RIGHT WING:
No Homosexual marriage
Drug use a crime
Low taxes 6. Few controls on business
Few environmental laws 7. Little government control
IF YOU SCORED MORE THAN 10 YES ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS YOU ARE MORE RIGHT WING. IF MORE NO ANSWERS, YOU ARE LEFT WING.
ALL THE STATEMENTS ABOVE WERE RIGHT WING STATEMENTS.