• Meaning of Management
• Definition of Management
• Functions of Management
• Nature of Management
• Management is the art of getting things done by a
group of people with effective utilization of
• An Individual cannot be treated as a managing body
running any organization
• A minimum of two persons are essential to form a
• Management is the art of getting things done
through an informally organized group.
- Harold Koontz -
• Management is the process by which a co-operative
group directs actions towards common goal.
- Joseph L. Massie -
• Management is the art of directing and inspiring
- James D. Mooney -
• Art in the sense of possessing of managing skill
by a person.
• Science in the sense of developing certain
principles or laws which are applicable in a
place where a group of activities are co-
Art as well as
• Management is the process of activity relating
to effective utilization of available resources.
• Resources being Men – Money – Materials –
is an Activity
• Process of Management mainly consist of
Planning, Organizing, Directing & Controlling
• The management function of any one alone
cannot produce any results in the absence of
basic functions of Management.
•Objectives of the organization are clearly
•Every managerial activity has to result in
achievement of those objectives
•Management is a group of organized
•Group of people perform in a systematic
manner to achieve those objectives.
•The factors of production includes land,
labor, capital and entrepreneurs.
•The organization goals are achieved only
when these are effectively co-ordinated by
a factor of
• Management is a group activity. Management is a
vital part of group activity. As no individual can
satisfy all his needs himself, he unites with his co-
workers and work together as an organized group
to achieve what he can not achieve individually.
• Management is goal oriented: Management is a
goal oriented activity. It works to achieve some
predetermined objectives or goals which may be
economic or social.
• Management is an art: Management is considered
as art as both requires skills, knowledge, experience
and creativity for achievement of desired results.
• Continuous Process: Management is a never ending
process. It will remain the part of organization till
the organization itself exists. Management is an
unending process as past decisions always carry
their impact for the future course of action.
• Management is the dynamic life giving element in
every business. Management is art because
Knowledge without is useless and skill without
knowledge means zero. Without management an
organization cannot be stable.