Expressions of Asking and
By Shinta Windyaningrum
SECOND GRADE IN FIRST SEMESTER
SMP NEGERI 2 GODEAN
• Definition of expressing opinion
• Asking opinion in formal situation
• Giving opinion in formal situation
• Asking opinion in informal situation
• Giving opinion in informal situation
• Refusing things
• Example of asking and giving opinion
• Students’ worksheet
- Opinion is including the words of opinion and argument/reason.
- In expressing dialogue have two situations; formal and informal.
Formal expressions are used in a situation where you are talking in
a formal situation, such as in the office or school between the
teacher and students.
Informal expression are used in a situation where you are talking
between friends or close friends.
The expressions usually respond to something that you discuss in
an informal situation.
Asking for opinion
Have you got any comments on...?
Do you have any idea?
Do you have any opinion on...?
Would you give me your opinion on...?
What is your reaction to...?
What is your opinion about...?
What are you feeling about...?
What are you views on...?
Please give me your frank opinion?
- I personally believe ...
- I personally consider ...
- I personally think/feel ...
- I hold the opinion ...
- My own view of the matter is ...
- Well, personally ...
- If I had my view, I would ... NEXTBACK
Asking for opinion
• What do you think of...?
• What do you think about...?
• What is your opinion?
• Why do they behave like that?
• Do you think its going?
• How do you like?
• How was the...?
• How do you think of ...’s idea?
• How do you feel about this...?
- I think I like it.
- I think it’s good/nice/terrific ...
- I don’t think I care for it.
- I don’t think much of it.
- I think that awful/notice/terrible...
- I think that ...
- In my opinion, I would rather...
- What I’m more concerned with..
- What I have in my mind is...
Thank you for your offer, but I don’t want
No need to bother, thanks
Bella : How are you?
Ricky : I am fine, how about you? Asking opinion
Bella : Fine too thanks
Ricky : Hey, what do you think about my new bag?
Bella : Wow, I think it is a good bag with the newest style. Where did you
buy it, Ricky? Giving opinion
Ricky : My auntie bought it for my birthday gift. What’s your opinion about
Bella : Hmm in my opinion, it has a bad color asking opinion
Ricky : Why? You know it's my auntie's choice Refusing
Bella : Because the color is glamour and look too over for boy like you, but I
Ricky : Yeah. Thanks for your opinion, Bell
Bella : No problem NEXTBACK
Listen to your teacher and complete the following dialog
based on what you have heard!
Donny’s pen is running out of ink. He borrows a pen from Tania.
Donny : Hey, Tania, _______________? My pen is running out of ink.
Tania : Umm,__________. I think I have got one spare pen. Here you are.
Donny : Wow, you have got one nice pen. I like it.
Tania ; Really ?__________, you know. That’s why I never use it.
Donny : Why ? It has got a nice pictures on it. I like pens and pencils with the
pictures on them.
Tania : Not the pictures______________, instead.
Donny : I see. Unlike you. _________ ballpoints. Well, thanks for lending me
Tania : No problem.
Answer these questions based on the dialogue
1. Where do you think the dialog takes place?
2. What does Donny say to borrow the pen?
3. What does Tania answer to lend the pen?
4. Why does Tania dislike the pen?
Work in pairs. Choose one of the following topics. Please make a
dialogue consists of asking, giving and refusing opinion