1. Co-Creating Growth with theAalto University Community Will Cardwell Aalto University Center for Entrepreneurship www.ace.aalto.fi / firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Summary of the Aalto University Strategy The best connect and succeed at Aalto University, an institution Vision internationally recognised for the impact of its science, art and learning. Goal A world-class university by year 2020 Universal Contributions National Competitiveness mission to a better world mission and welfare of Finland Core strategies Pioneering Trend- Societal and KPIs Research setting art impact excellence education Art, architecture and Adding value through Students in focus, Original, impactful, design as key drivers entrepreneurship, a new learning culture interdiciplinary for improving living business liaison and and approaches environments societal interactions Strategic enablers Leadership; Internationalisation; Services; Infrastructure Culture built Passion; Courage; Freedom; Responsibility; Integrity on common values Schools Arts, Design and Architecture; Chemical Technology; Economics; Electrical Engineering; Engineering; Science
3. Core strategies and Key Performance IndicatorsSocietal ImpactAalto University improves the welfareof society through entrepreneurship,business liaison and societalinteractions.KPIs:• International visibility• Partners’ perception of Aalto Aalto Entrepreneur Society is the largest,• Number of spin-offs most active community for• Number of partners young entrepreneurs in the whole of• Funding from partners Europe. < Back to chart
5. Number of projects (476 total) School of School of Chemical Engineering 121Economics 23 Old TKK 5 5% Aalto University 19 Metropolia 6 1% Sibelius Academy 1 4% 1% School of Electrical Engineering 106 0%School of Art and Design 29 School of Science 99 6% School of Chemical Engineering School of Engineering 67 121 26% School of Art and Design 29 School of Engineering 67 14% School of Economics 23 School of Electrical Engineering 106 Aalto University 19 22% School of Science 99 Metropolia 6 21% Old TKK 5 Sibelius Academy 1
6. Current number of projects at Aalto Center for Entrepreneurship -divided by field of industry and case profile (total number of projects higher) 140 120 Startup potential 100 Startup project Number of projects 80 Licensing 60 40 20 0 137 83 42 30 25 20 18 18 7 Industrial ICT ICT/Mobile Life ICT Cleantech Nano- Services Consumer Software Telecoms Sciences Hardware technology goods Startup potential 11 25 4 11 4 2 0 12 6 Startup project 3 13 4 3 1 0 1 6 0 Licensing 123 45 34 16 20 18 17 0 1
7. Aalto Entrepreneurship Education Building Blocks School of1. Aalto Ventures Program Science2. Summer of Startups Aalto Venture3. Startup Life Garage4. Startup Sauna5. Out to the Global Community!
8. ENTREPRENEURSHIP: A STRATEGIC ISSUE FOR AALTO UNIVERSITY Aalto Ventures Program (AVP): Strengthening the academic dimensions of entrepreneurship at Aalto University
11. Startup Sauna7 weeks, 400 applicants globally, 20 teamsCoached by Serial Entrepreneurs
12. AppCampusBoosting The Mobile Ecosystem June 4th 2012 World Bank Training Program Will Cardwell Head, Aalto Center for Entrepreneurship 18
13. Date/Time 28.5.2012, 14:00 Applications 435 % Company 28.28 %In Alternative app 24.37 % marketplace
14. The Aalto Startup Community What Happened in 2011Blaast €3M investments by global investors, launching mobile cloud in southeast Asian operatorsEniram name fastest growing Greentech company in Deloitte fast 500, Fastest growing company in FinlandMulti Touch launched world’s largest multiuser, multitouch display, €2M investment in AugustRemedy Entertainment Death Rally highly successful on iOS, with 1.8 paid download.Senseg named on of Time Magazines 50 most important inventionsRovio sets every possible growth record in mobile gaming, showing how to branch into new marketsNexstim €13M fro, and a steady stream of newsflow regarding new results of Navigated Brain StimulationMendor €8 million euro of VC financing, Red Herring 100 finalistModz significant financing round, founder Salla Koski wins 2nd prize among European woman inventors.Campalyst Startup Sauna winner who went on to win of Seedcamp NYScoopinion winner of 250k Sanoma Foundation Innovation AwardFlowdock Announced $650k funding round of US investors and seed investors, including Mårten Mickos.