Parish of St. Andrés By: Gabriela Reyna Vinazza 2ºC
Location and Origin It is located on the no 1 of the St. Andres square. It has exists from the end of the XII century and substituted the Christian church of Islamic Madrid. Next to it was the house of his landlord, Ivan de Vargas.
Ideas of Elias Tormo But for Elias Tormo before that the parish exist there was a mosque. After, a palace, where lived the Catholic Monarchs and the cardinal Cisneros. And the church was reformed to the gothic style.
Centuries XVI-XVII The Chapel of the Bishop was semi-detached. The body of the saint was moved but then it return to his original place. The Church collapsed and reconstruct at the same time that the Chapel of St. Isidro. The charges of the decoration were Alonso Cano and Manuel Pereira.
Century XX- Nowadays It was burned in the year 1936. The rectory house was constructed over the plot of the primitive head gothic. Now this parish doesn't exist.
Origin of the Chapel of St. Isidro It was semi-detached from to the parish. In 1629, Gomez de Mora presented his plans, but then a competition was summoned. The winner was simple but beautiful.
The Chapel in the XVII century In 1650 the work stopped cause by the bad economy. It continued in 1657 and finished in 1669. The charges of the decoration were magnificent and new for the age
The Chapel from the XVIII century to nowadays After the expulsion of the Jesuits in 1767 the chest of St. Isidro was moved to the church of Imperial School. It burnt in 1936.Only the exterior survived but from 1986-1990 some architects reconstruct it.
Legends Legend of Chapel of St. Isidro: Chapel of St. Isidro cost twelve million of reals donated by the small town and the king of Peru and Mexico. Legend of Parish of St. Andres: in the year 1212 it St. Isidro was exhumed and visited by the king Alfonso VIII. The king order the construction of the chest of wood and covered of leather. In the year 1620 was substituted by other of gold, silver and bronze.