How to install microsoft office 2010 in ubuntu 12.04
How to Install Microsoft Office Suite 2010 in Ubuntu 12.04
You probably already have LibreOffice Office Suite installed in Ubuntu and you’re happy with it.
Well, more power unto you. This brief tutorial is going to show those of you who need Microsoft
Office 2010 installed in Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin). Even though LibreOffice is a great
productivity suite, in some situations, MS Office will be required in order to get your work done. If
you need to edit or collaborate on MS Office documents, use Outlook with Exchange without
missing some features, or install and use OneNote, you’ll definitely need Microsoft Office. Using
Wine, you can install and use Microsoft Office Suite in Linux systems, including Ubuntu. It’s not
perfect, but good and can get the job done. So, without wasting any more of your time, lets’ get
Install Microsoft Office in Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin)
1. To get started, press Ctrl – Alt – T on your keyboard to open Terminal. When it opens, run the
commands below to add Wine PPA.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
2. Next, run the commands below to update your system and install the latest version of Wine
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wine1.5
Page 1 of 8
3. After that, go to Dash and launch Winetricks.
4. When Winetricks opens, choose ‘Select the default wineprefix’ and click ‘OK’
5. Then choose ‘Install a Windows DDL or component’ and click ‘OK’
Page 2 of 8
6. Next, select both ‘dotnet20’ and‘msxml6’ from this screen to install.
7. After installing those two components, go back to Winetricks and choose to install a font.
Page 3 of 8
8. Next, choose to install corefonts
9. After installing, the corefonts, go back to Winetricks and choose‘Run winecfg’
Page 4 of 8
10. Then select‘Libraries’ tab and make sure these DLLs are added. The select each DDL and
click ‘Edit’ and change the overrides for each DDL to ‘Native’ (Windows)
Page 5 of 8
11. After that, close out of Winetricks insert your Office CD/DVD or ISO and double click
12. Next, click ‘Install Now’ . After installing, remove the CD/DVD and begin using Office.
Page 6 of 8
13. To launch Microsoft Excel, press Ctrl – Alt – T to open Terminal. Then run the line below
wine "C:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office14/excel.exe"
Page 7 of 8
14. To launch Microsoft Word, run the line below
wine "C:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office14/winword.exe"
15. PowerPoint, copy and paste the line below
wine "C:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office14/powerpnt.exe"
16. Finish & Enjoy!
Page 8 of 8