1. Are you male or female?35 The first question in my questionnaire asked for gender. The majority of those30 that answered were female, so from this I can assume that females take a greater25 interest in thrillers.20151050 Male Female
2. Which category includes your age? 30 I received multiple responses to age, however the majority that answered 25 were aged between 11 and 17. This tells 20 me that the area of population most interested in thrillers are teenagers. 15 10 5 0
3. Which of the following film genres do you prefer? I asked my audience what their favourite Column3 film genre was so that I could see how popular thrillers actually are. Out of 34 people, 9 said that thrillers are their favourite. This puts the thriller genre in Comedy second place behind comedy, which 24% received 10 votes. 29% Romance Horror 6% Thriller Sci-fi 6% 26% 9% Fantasy
4. How often do you see film trailers? 12 I wanted to know how often my audience see film trailers so that I can find out if 10 they are like the majority of the 8 population that is presented with trailers through different medias or if they are film 6 fanatics that deliberately find trailers to 4 watch. From my results, most people said that they see trailers more than twice a 2 week. This tells me that they are a typical consumer that will see trailers that are 0 presented to them rather than Daily More Once or Less than deliberately going to find trailers. than twice a once a twice a week week week
5. Where do you usually see film trailers? 5% Continuing from the previous question, I wanted to know where people see trailers TV most often. I assumed with the responses 9% from the previous question that my Online audience were normal film consumers 33% (as opposed to being fanatics) – I can continue this assumption from looking at In the the results of this question. Most of the cinema people that answered said they saw 30% trailers on TV and in the cinema. Few DVDs people answered with ‘Other’, but those that did said that they had heard trailers on the radio and that friends had emailed 23% Other them trailers from YouTube.
6. Do you feel that film trailers are necessary to a films success? Almost all people felt that trailers were necessary to a film’s success – I asked this question so that I could establish how No 2 effective I need to make my trailer. Of those that provided a reason for their response, the majority said it is a key act of promotion for the film and raises awareness of it’s existence. Yes 32 0 10 20 30 40 Reasons given: Advertisement, promotion, to attract the audience, increase awareness and to introduce the plot.
7. Do thriller movies appeal to you? I can see that the majority of those answering my questionnaire are interested in thrillers. No 13 Yes 21 0 10 20 30
8. Which of these thrillers have you seen? I wanted the know the sorts of thrillers my Silence of the Lambs audience is watching, so I asked if they had seen any of these films, each of 16% 11% which is a different type of thriller and The Dark Knight spread across several years. Inception and The Dark Knight are the most recent The Sixth Sense 15% films on the list – Inception is the one that has been seen most by those answering Psycho the questionnaire. This film is quite 26% psychologically based, combined with a 16% Se7en lot of action. It also falls under the category of ‘sci-fi’. The least seen films Inception are those that are older – this is probably 8% 8% due to the youth of those answering the None of these questionnaire.
9. What appeals most to you in a thriller? From these results I can see that the majority of those answering the questionnaire feel that the storyline is the Other 2 most appealing part of a thriller. Because of this, I know that we need to make sure Mysterious 16 that our plot is interesting so that it grasps and maintains our audience’s Creates tension/fear 18 attention. Thought provoking 16 Actors/Producers involved 10 The storyline 24 0 10 20 30
10. As backing sound for a thriller, do you prefer... 30 I wanted to know what my audience expect to hear when they watch a thriller 25 24 trailer, particularly as many different sound types have been used in the trailers I have analysed. Most people said 20 that they prefer dramatic music above hearing eerie sound effects and a simple 15 voice over. 12 10 9 5 0 Dramatic Music Eerie sound effects Just a voice
Overall Conclusion From the results, I know that my main audience will be females aged between 11 and 17 as these are the people that appear to be most interested in thrillers. Because of the responses I received here, I know what our trailer needs to include in order to be effective/successful. The responses told me that I need toe ensure it has an original and interesting plot – expanding on this, I will use the conventions I found out about film trailers and thrillers.