Transcript of "West of England Carbon Challenge Case Studies - Buro Happold 26 Feb 2014"
26 February 2014, Buro Happold, Bath
SOME CASE STUDIES ON HOW OUR
MEMBERS ARE DOING....
Fosters Event Catering
• Replaced bulbs, segregated
switches, loft, window & door
insulation – led to 5% savings on
• Recycle over 80% of waste;
teamed up with Barton Hill
Walled Garden for food waste
• With the help of the Energydeck
can see that business has grown
by 46% in 2013 –but reduced
carbon footprint by 1.6%!
• ISO 14001 accreditation great
way to engage staff
Higher Education Funding Council for
• Upgraded boilers, replaced
windows, light sensors
• Green champions in each
team - give chocolate for
• Guided bike ride event into
town for Climate Week!
• Provide cycle facilities &
bike users group, cycle and
• Pukka Herbs is achieving 50%
year on year growth!
• Using Energydeck to measure
progress in office
• Signed up to Good Energy
• Inductions for new staff instil
• Encouraging video
conferencing, car share and
provide staff cycling facilities
• Automatic meter readings
every 30 mins provides great
• Reducing student driving to
campus (charging £5 parking
per day, swapping bus pass for
• Regular sustainability tours for
• Slow flow showers in Halls of
• Efficient printers, insulation
and replacing IT servers
with less energy intensive
• Staff encouragement;
establishing the ‘Carbon
• Green Week in conjunction
with Bristol’s Big Green
• BUILDINGS: Leased properties can be a barrier to making
improvements – but depends on the landlord...
• STAFF ENGAGEMENT: No easy win and an ongoing process – but
can be the most fun and creative part!
• TRANSPORT: Green staff travel can help promote green culture
• SUPPORT: Being part of WECC is great for support and inspiration
• ENERGYDECK: Helps to measure progress and demonstrate success
Tell your staff how they are doing!
Simple internal communications
Free online tools to help you
Free guide from the Carbon Trust
Energy Management Matrix
Allows you to map where you are
currently and where you would
like to be