1. The Power of the Image 2011 Contemporary research in cartography within ICA David Fairbairn Newcastle University Secretary-General and Treasurer, International Cartographic Association
2. The Power of the The International Cartographic Image 2011 Association - historical overview - membership - purpose and remit - activities - outreach, output, impact - the ICA Strategic Plan
3. The Power of the Image 2011
4. The Power of the Image The Structure of ICA 2011 - administration - ‘bottom-up’ approach - specific operational fields: society, education, professional practice, science, art - role of Commissions and Working Groups
5. The Power of the Image 2011
6. The Power of the Image The UK role in ICA 2011 - adhesion to ICA - contribution of UK cartographers
7. The Power of the Image 2011
8. The Power of the Image The ICA Research Agenda 2011 - development of research activity - through Commissions and Working Groups - creation of a research agenda - development of a research agenda - application of the research agenda - research directions for cartography and GI science in the 21st century
9. The Power of the Image 2011
10. The Power of the Image 2011
11. The Power of the Image 2011
12. The Power of the ICA Commissions and Working Image 2011 Groups - historical overview - Standing Commissions - current listing of Commissions and Working Groups - activities of Commissions and Working Groups - meetings, workshops, publications, dissemination, collaboration
13. Commissions Cartography and ChildrenThe Power Digital technologies in cartographic heritage of the Education and Training Image Generalization and Multiple Representation 2011 Geospatial analysis and modeling History of Cartography Management and Economics of Map Production Mapping from Satellite Imagery Map projections Maps and graphics for blind and partially sighted people Maps and Society Working Groups Maps and the Internet Art and Cartography Marine Cartography Early Warning and Crisis Management Mountain cartography Mapping Africa for Africa National and regional atlases Tourist Mapping Planetary cartography GIS and Sustainable Development Open Data Access and Intellectual Property Rights Geospatial data standards Open Source Geospatial Technologies Theoretical cartography Census Cartography Ubiquitous mapping Underrepresented groups and cartography Use and User Issues Geovisualization
14. The Power of the ICA Commission research: Image 2011 example 1 - ICA Commission on Digital Technologies for Cartographic Heritage - chair: Evangelos Livieratos, Greece
15. The Power TERMS OF REFERENCE of the • Support transformation of old maps, globes Image and cartographic documents into digital form. 2011 • Apply digital techniques in the study of old maps. • Develop digital tools for assisting the work of map curators and the functionality of map libraries networking and access to cartographic heritage. • Apply digital support for the preservation and restoration of old maps, atlases and globes. • Foster ICTs in teaching and diffusing history of cartography and maps to the public.
16. MEETINGSThe Power 2011: Nationaal Archief (The Hague) of the 2010: Technische Universität Wien (Vienna) Image 2009: Universita` IUAV di Venezia (Venice) 2011 2008: Institut Cartogràfic de Catalunia (Barcelona) 2007: Hellenic National Research Foundation (Athens) 2006: Museum of Byzantine Culture (Thessaloniki) (average attendance ~70) OUTPUT meeting Proceedings plus:
17. The Power of the Image 2011
18. The Power of the ICA Commission research: Image 2011 example 2 - ICA Commission on Geovisualisation - co-chairs: Gennady Andrienko, Germany; Jason Dykes, UK - 78 members on active list
19. TERMS OF REFERENCEThe Power of the • Promote, develop and report upon the use of Image cartography in its widest sense in the 2011 exploration and analysis of spatial information through interactive visual interfaces. • Define short and medium term research goals that address key issues associated with this work and its application. • Encourage a multi-disciplinary and international approach to this work that draws upon and contributes to the efforts of relevant stakeholders (such as international and national organisations promoting and coordinating research), cognate disciplines and ICA commissions and working groups.
20. MEETINGS and OUTPUTThe Power • Workshop: Visualization, Analytics for Spatial Decision Support at the of the GIScience conference, Sept. 2006, Muenster: special issue IJGIS Geovisual Analytics for Spatial Decision Support (vol. 21(8)) Image • Expert workshop: GeoVisualization at the Visualization Summit, July 2011 2007, Zurich: report in Information Visualization (vol.6 (3)) • Workshop: From geovisualization toward geovisual analytics, Aug. 2007, Helsinki: special issue The Cartographic Journal From Geovisualisation Toward Geovisual Analytics (vol. 45(3)) • Workshop: GeoVisualization of Dynamics, Movement and Change at the AGILE 2008 Conference, May 2008, Girona: special issue, Information Visualization (vol. 7(3/4)) • Workshop: Cognitive Issues in Geographic Information Visualization at AAG 2008: special issue Cartographica (vol. 44(3)) • Workshop: GeoSpatial Visual Analytics at the GIScience 2008 Conference Sept. 2008, Park City, Utah: special issue Cartography and Geographic Information Science (vol. 36 (3)) • Workshop Contribution: Geovisualization for the concept of the Digital City, Mar. 2009, Hamburg: special issue Computers, Environment and Urban Systems (vol. 34(6)) • Special sessions: Geovisualization, Geovisual Analytics, Cognition, Behavior, and Representation at AAG 2010, Apr.2010, Washington D.C.
21. MEETINGS and OUTPUT (contd)The Power • Workshop: GeoVA(t) - Geospatial Visual Analytics: Focus on Time at of the AGILE, May 2010, Guimarães, Portugal: special issues International Journal Geographical Information Science (vol. 24(10)); Journal of Image Location Based Services (vol. 4(3/4)) 2011 • Workshop: GeoViz - Linking Geovisualization with Spatial Analysis and Modeling, March 2011, Hamburg: special issue Cartographica
22. The Power of the ICA Commission research: Image 2011 example 3 - ICA Commission on Use and User Issues - chair: Corné van Elzakker, Netherlands - vice chairs include: David Forrest, UK
23. TERMS OF REFERENCEThe Power of the • Maintain an on-line bibliographical database with a Image bibliography on the user, usability (including User 2011 Centered Design and methods and techniques of user research) and improvement of user abilities. • Maintain a database of individuals working on the various use and user issues. • Produce a major publication on use and user issues in cartography and geoinformation processing and dissemination, and stimulate other publications. • Organize sessions on use and user issues at future ICA conferences. • Organize a specialist workshop on a focused topic related to use and user issues. • Liaise with other disciplines and other ICA Commissions.
24. MEETINGS and OUTPUTThe Power 3rd Workshop on Usability of Geographic Information, on 10 November of the 2010 Southampton [proceedings online] Image Workshop on Emerging Methods for Studying Use of Spatial Technologies on 14 September 2010 Zurich 2011 Workshop on Methods and Techniques of Use, User and Usability Research in Geo-information Processing and Dissemination on 13 April 2010 London [proceedings online] 2nd Workshop on Usability of Geographic Information, on 23 March 2010 London [proceedings online] Commission Meetings at the 24th International Cartography Conference in Santiago, Chile in September 2009 [proceedings online] Commission Working Meeting in Salzburg on 25 November 2008 searchable bibliography
25. The Power of the Summary of ICA research 2007- Image 2011 2011 - other notable Commissions - Generalization and Multiple Representations - Geospatial Analysis and Modeling - History of Cartography - Maps and the Internet - Mountain Cartography - National and Regional Atlases - Theoretical Cartography
26. The Power of the Image The future for ICA Commissions 2011 - proposals for ICA Commissions 2011-2015
27. FUNDAMENTALS 1. Cognition 18. Mountain CartographyThe Power 2. Design USERS of the 3. Art and Cartography 19. Neogeography Image 4. History of Cartography 20. Maps and Graphics for Blind and 2011 Partially Sighted People 5. Map Projections 6. Theoretical Cartography 21. Critical cartography 7. Data Quality 22. Use and User Issues METHODS & TECHNIQUES 23. Cartography and Children 8. Atlases 24. Education and Training 9. Mapping from Satellite Imagery INITIATIVES 10. Geospatial Analysis and Modelling 25. GI for Sustainability 11. Geovisualization 26. Management and Economics of 12. Web Mapping Map Production 13. Mobile Mapping and LBS 27. Cartography in Early Warning and Crisis Management 14. Digital Technologies in Cartographic Heritage 28. Spatial Data Infrastructure 15. Open source Geospatial Technologies 16. Generalisation and Multiple Representation THEMATIC 17. Planetary Cartography
28. The Power of the Image The future for ICA Research 2011 - input to the Research Agenda - input to Commissions and Working Groups - YOUR input is encouraged - www.icaci.org/commissions