frame of reference - http://inside.mines.edu/~tfurtak/feb14_2001/transcript.html
1. Using authentic learning to teach EdTech to pre-service teachers
2. 1“teachers tend to teach as they were taught”
3. “think different”2
4. Cartoon by JohnMcPherson, Close To HomeFrom Furtak, T. (2001) "ItsTime for a Change to aMore Effective Paradigm inCollege Teaching"http://inside.mines.edu/~tfurtak/feb14_2001/transcript.htmlProfessor Furtakdiscovers a newway to capturestudentattention duringclass
5. Quote from video game reviews done by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw,
6. Involved real world problems
7. Experimentation & Action
8. A collection of skillsFive Coursework TasksComputer TestTroubleshootingPresentationBatting FolderSpreadsheet
9. Sources & perspectives
10. Real world evaluationCriteria Innovation Adoption EntrySelection of artefacts The learning artefacts are supported by rich,engaging and/or pertinent details. Evidence ofanalysis, reflection, and insight in theselection.The artefacts are supported by explanationsand there is evidence of thought behind theirselectionThe portfolio lacks appropriate artifacts,thought, purpose and organization.Reflections Reflections show that the student is able toeffectively critique their own practice andoffer constructive suggestions on improvingtheir work.Reflections show that the student is able topresent their opinions about their practice andis able to offer a rationale for their work.Reflections (if any) are very brief withreasoning that is difficult to follow.Multi-media Multi-media elements are used to createinterest, enhance the portfolios purposes andare professionally presentedMulti media elements are used to decoraterather than substantiate the portfolio’spurposes.Multi-media elements detract from theportfolio purposes and are inappropriate / ofpoor qualityNavigation Non linear navigation within the portfolioconnects to the correct page. All links connectto the correct mediaNavigation within the portfolio is primarilylinear. Most links connect to the correctmediaThere is no navigation structure to theportfolio and no links have been includedLayout Appropriate, clean, and/or suitable visualorganization of informationBusy visual organization of information Weak visual organization of informationCommunication Student work shows depth and complexity ofideas. Variety in sentence structure andlength. Precise and/or rich language with noerrors in grammar, punctuation or spelling.Student work shows adequate ideadevelopment. Acceptable, effective languagewith few errors in grammar and/or formatrelative to length and complexity.Student work shows limited or no ideadevelopment. Simplistic and/or awkwardsentence structure. Errors in grammar andformat (e.g., spelling, punctuation,capitalization, headings).
11. Polished products:
12. Multiple interpretations & outcomes
13. One Exam Task
14. How successful was Iwith using authenticlearning to teach Ed Techto pre-service teachers?